Update o Swon Leopard para o Lion ou Mountain Lion

Hey guys. I have a Late 2009 MacBook, very well maintained and working well. I decided to format and reinstall the operating system.

I used the disk that came from the factory and was able to reinstall everything. But I need to update the system to Lion or Mountain Lion, but I can't download it or when I download it I can't install it. I can't access iTunes or Apple Store directly on my Macbook. What should I do?

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Mar 22, 2024 1:22 PM

8 replies

Mar 22, 2024 5:06 PM in response to OmarVJunior

You can upgrade a 13" Late 2009 iMac as far as High Sierra. So I'd think that the preferred OSes would be

• Snow Leopard – if you wanted to run old PowerPC / Mac OS X applications using Rosetta 1, or
  • High Sierra

All of the upgrades from Lion through Sierra (with the exception of Mavericks: not online) are in the form of .DMG files. You need a running Mac to mount the disk images and run the installer applications, but I believe that you could use a modern machine to download one of the .DMG files onto a USB flash drive. Then you could transfer that flash drive to the old Mac, copy the .DMG file onto it, and proceed with an installation even if the Snow Leopard version of Safari was too ancient to deal with modern https security.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

To get to High Sierra, you'd want to update to Sierra first, so that you'd have versions of Safari and the App Store that are new enough that you can use the High Sierra App Store link.

Once on Sierra or High Sierra, you could install Firefox 115 ESR. It will not get security updates after September – but security updates for High Sierra's version of Safari ended long ago.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-users-macos-1012-1013-1014-moving-to-extended-support

Mar 22, 2024 5:05 PM in response to Servant of Cats

You can upgrade a 13" Late 2009 iMac as far as High Sierra. So I'd think that the preferred OSes would be

• Snow Leopard – if you wanted to run old PowerPC / Mac OS X applications using Rosetta 1, or
  • High Sierra

All of the upgrades from Lion through Sierra (with the exception of Mavericks: not online) are in the form of .DMG files. You need a running Mac to mount the disk images and run the installer applications, but I believe that you could use a modern machine to download one of the .DMG files onto a USB flash drive. Then you could transfer that flash drive to the old Mac, copy the .DMG file onto it, and proceed with an installation even if the Snow Leopard version of Safari was too ancient to deal with modern https security.

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

To get to High Sierra, you'd want to update to Sierra first, so that you'd have versions of Safari and the App Store that are new enough that you can use the High Sierra App Store link.

Once on Sierra or High Sierra, you could install Firefox 115 ESR. It will not get security updates after September – but security updates for High Sierra's version of Safari ended long ago.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-users-macos-1012-1013-1014-moving-to-extended-support

Mar 26, 2024 5:52 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Many thanks for the reply! But like I said, I have a late 2009 White MacBook. I formatted it and restored it with the original factory disks. But I can't upgrade to a higher version. The one that came from the factory is Swon Leopard, (OS X 10.6). Despite everything being ok, I can't access the App Store or iTunes. That's why I want to install Mountain Lion, or El Captan. But I've done several things and I can't do it. Like, try installing via Pen drive or via HD. Would you have another option?

Mar 27, 2024 4:42 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Yes! I've already done this with the two systems you mentioned. But when I try to install. It goes to a point where the message appears. Unable to verify, you must download the file again or from a trusted source. From what I've already researched, he thinks the file is not official from Apple. But it was downloaded directly from their website. I've done this process several times and always get the same message. Is there any way to disable this check via the terminal? I am a developer, I have Apple certification for Swon Leopard and Linux server administration. I'm sorry for insisting, but I really like this equipment and I wanted to use it for a while longer. I'm Brazilian and the price of this equipment here is very expensive, I can't afford to buy another one.

Mar 27, 2024 6:15 AM in response to OmarVJunior

OmarVJunior wrote:

Many thanks for the reply! But like I said, I have a late 2009 White MacBook.

My mistake. But according to MacTracker, the end of the line for a white MacBook (13-inch, Late 2009) is also High Sierra.

I formatted it and restored it with the original factory disks. But I can't upgrade to a higher version. The one that came from the factory is Swon Leopard, (OS X 10.6). Despite everything being ok, I can't access the App Store or iTunes. That's why I want to install Mountain Lion, or El Captan. But I've done several things and I can't do it. Like, try installing via Pen drive or via HD. Would you have another option?

The App Store didn't appear until Mac OS 10.6.8. If you have an earlier version of Snow Leopard, you would need to download the 10.6.8 update from the old Apple download site. There is also an App Store compatibility patch. That one needs to be installed after 10.6.8. But even if you install it, I don't know if it would make Snow Leopard compatible with the current version of the App Store.

A more realistic approach is to upgrade to some version of Mac OS X / macOS for which the installer is available in the form of a .DMG file. Like, say, El Capitan or Sierra. Then use the versions of Safari and the App Store bundled with it to make the final jump to High Sierra (whose installer you have to download from the App Store).

But Snow Leopard's version of Safari is so old that it probably will not be able to open most https sites. Including even the "How to download and install macOS" one.

Mar 27, 2024 6:41 AM in response to OmarVJunior

OmarVJunior wrote:

Yes! I've already done this with the two systems you mentioned. But when I try to install. It goes to a point where the message appears. Unable to verify, you must download the file again or from a trusted source. From what I've already researched, he thinks the file is not official from Apple. But it was downloaded directly from their website. I've done this process several times and always get the same message. Is there any way to disable this check via the terminal?

Sounds as if you're using an installer which has an expired certificate. Certificates are often set to expire after a certain date as an extra security mechanism – the idea being that, even if bad actors somehow compromise the encryption, the expiration date would limit the amount of time they had to make use of the exploit.

I hope that if there are installers with expired certificates on the Apple site, it is just a temporary oversight.

Update o Swon Leopard para o Lion ou Mountain Lion

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.