Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do I have to type full URL???

I used to be able to type in the name of a site without typing the full URL, now if it is a new site (not in history or bookmarked) I cannot just type in the name ie.... 'apple', I now have to type in 'www.apple.com'.

This was not the case before, is this the new default of Safari 5, or have I accidentally turned something off in preferences?

G5, 24"iMac, 20"iMac, Macbook, Mac OS X (10.6.4)

Posted on Aug 24, 2010 11:01 AM

3 replies

Aug 24, 2010 11:22 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

This did not seem to behave this way until recently. Before if I typed in the name only, if it was not in cache, history or bookmarked, nothing would show up in the autofill fields, but after hitting 'enter' Safari would hesitate for a second, but fill in the full URL and launch the site. Now it just sits there for a while and gives an error message that it could not find the server.

Or am i just dreaming????

Why do I have to type full URL???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.