iPod nano 7th generation battery woes

I just purchased an iPod nano 7th Generation (wow is that thing small ;-}. Besides from the volume being very low on certain albums (using AirPod Pros) the battery life concerns me.

i opted to buy one that allegedly has a new battery —over an unopened one, I presumed an old battery may have issues? So I read about “calibration” of the battery, charge, let it run out, reset the settings and that should make it last? Since it doesn’t show battery level, I think I can listen to about 7-8 hours of music, giving it some extra charge in between for about 45 minutes. Not even close to “up to 30 hours”, any suggestions?

Would I be better off buying a sealed one?

Thanks in advance.

iPod nano

Posted on Mar 22, 2024 7:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 3:40 AM

You're welcome.

Bear in mind that a 2nd generation iPod Touch will not be able to install much in the way of apps. The 2nd gen Touch is only able to install iOS 4.2.1, for which there will be few apps. In addition, you won't be able to buy from the store on that model as the store now requires iOS10.0 as a minimum.

You can of course buy music via your iTunes programme on your computer (or on the macOS equivalent) which you would then be able to copy to and play on the 2nd gen Touch, but take note that you would not be able to use Apple Music (the subscription service) as that currently requires iOS 15 on the device.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 24, 2024 3:40 AM in response to rudeb0y

You're welcome.

Bear in mind that a 2nd generation iPod Touch will not be able to install much in the way of apps. The 2nd gen Touch is only able to install iOS 4.2.1, for which there will be few apps. In addition, you won't be able to buy from the store on that model as the store now requires iOS10.0 as a minimum.

You can of course buy music via your iTunes programme on your computer (or on the macOS equivalent) which you would then be able to copy to and play on the 2nd gen Touch, but take note that you would not be able to use Apple Music (the subscription service) as that currently requires iOS 15 on the device.

Mar 23, 2024 1:11 AM in response to rudeb0y

A sealed one doesn't mean much, anyone can seal something. You also don't know what capacity battery has been put in to the one you have, or how long ago.

But to address the playing time;

7 to 8 hours doesn't sound too bad to me. I'm not an expert, but I assume that having the Bluetooth on, in order to use the AirPods with it, will reduce battery life a bit.

But - there's something else. I know when I've had new (to me) devices like this, I tend to browse the menus (to find out what the device can do) and browse the album artwork a lot. If you are spending a lot of time looking at the artwork, that means the screen is on a lot, which will definitely impact the amount of time that the battery will last between charges. Apple's figures will be a "best case" example, which will also mean not browsing the artwork.

I doubt there's much you can do about it, unless you go back to the seller. But frankly, 7-8 hours isn't that bad (you should try owning a 6th generation iPod Touch - they have dreadful battery life).

Oh, also, if there's a setting for the screen brightness, set it so that it's no brighter than you need and set the time until the screen turns off to as low as you can. On many iPods, this setting is named Auto-Lock; on my 6th gen Touch I have this set to 30 seconds. On my old 2nd gen Touch, the shortest time is 1 minute. So 1 minute after the last time I touched the screen, the display turns off, which saves battery.

Mar 25, 2024 8:55 AM in response to rudeb0y

rudeb0y wrote:

So I read about “calibration” of the battery, charge, let it run out, reset the settings and that should make it last?

"Battery" calibration only calibrates the battery sensor. It makes the battery indicator more accurate. It has no effect on the life of the battery.

Would I be better off buying a sealed one?

It's quite possible that a sealed one would have had battery problems as the battery would have been sitting in an uncharged state for a long time.

I agree with the fiend, 7-8 hours is pretty good. It's a very small battery.

Mar 25, 2024 2:37 PM in response to rudeb0y

rudeb0y wrote:

I actually did a trial of Apple Music because for no apparent reason syncing music from my iPhone to Apple Watch stopped working all together, did the resets and re-pair all to no avail so I figured I get an iPod ;-}, but it can’t have a camera or an internet connection, so an old iPod.

It's not clear to me whether you still have Apple Music, but if you do, you may have already discovered that you can't sync an Apple Music subscription to an iPod Nano.

Mar 23, 2024 11:05 AM in response to the fiend

I really appreciate your insights and they are helpful. The settings are very limited on this device (I guess we/I are spoiled with electronics nowadays ;-}. I’m going to see if the battery “settles” in the next few weeks.

it might be too “basic” for my needs, so I’m looking into the iPod touch (2nd Generation because no camera is a must have (or must no have 😃) for me.

again thanks a lot!

Mar 25, 2024 2:32 PM in response to the fiend

I watched some videos of people use them in this day & age, I’ll use it for 95% music and maybe 5% photos of my kid as motivation to keep my job.

I actually did a trial of Apple Music because for no apparent reason syncing music from my iPhone to Apple Watch stopped working all together, did the resets and re-pair all to no avail so I figured I get an iPod ;-}, but it can’t have a camera or an internet connection, so an old iPod.

I now think an iPod touch may be a little better fit than the nano but kind of hesitant cause I don’t want one with a “bad” battery :-/

again, thank you.

Mar 26, 2024 5:02 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

"Battery" calibration only calibrates the battery sensor. It makes the battery indicator more accurate. It has no effect on the life of the battery.

Understood, makes sense.

It's quite possible that a sealed one would have had battery problems as the battery would have been sitting in an uncharged state for a long time.

I agree with the fiend, 7-8 hours is pretty good. It's a very small battery.

I was thinking the same thing vis-à-vis a never used battery. I have since purchased an iPod touch, allegedly with a new battery. The battery is significantly bigger from what I read. I think what contributes mostly to battery usage on the nano is me using AirPod Pros. I was once again reminded how long the red battery lasts ;-}

I appreciate your reply. Thanks.

Mar 26, 2024 5:06 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

IdrisSeabright wrote:

It's not clear to me whether you still have Apple Music, but if you do, you may have already discovered that you can't sync an Apple Music subscription to an iPod Nano.

I actually canceled the free trial of Apple Music, I don’t think it’s for me. I did the trial so I had at least some music in my Apple Watch ;-}

Thank you.

Mar 27, 2024 7:28 AM in response to rudeb0y

rudeb0y wrote:

IdrisSeabright wrote:

I actually canceled the free trial of Apple Music, I don’t think it’s for me. I did the trial so I had at least some music in my Apple Watch ;-}

Thank you.

No, it's not for everyone. Just didn't want you to be disappointed or confused if you still had it and it didn't work on your Nano.

Best of luck!

iPod nano 7th generation battery woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.