Coming soon: Apple Event on 9/9 at 10 a.m. PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook 7.1 is measuring the battery level incorrectly

Hi, so i have got this mac from known ones. They had to leave it on the charger ever since they got a new battery. It goes from 100 to 0 in a matter of seconds. With Linux Ubuntu 23.10.1 i have more information about the battery. it says it takes 500 hours to charge to 100 when its depleted. (it stays at 1 percent) and then suddenly its full charged. My guess is that everything below 100 gets shown as 0 percent or 1 percent. How can i fix this? The battery only has 20 cycles and it is brand new basically.

Here is some battery information i got by typing: upower -i /org/freedesktop/UPower/devices/battery_BAT0 in the linux terminal.

native-path: BAT0

vendor: Hesker

model: A1331

power supply: yes

updated: Sun 24 Mar 2024 11:53:34 AM CET (24 seconds ago)

has history: yes

has statistics: yes

battery

present: yes

rechargeable: yes

state: fully-charged

warning-level: none

energy: 457.196 Wh

energy-empty: 0 Wh

energy-full: 457.272 Wh

energy-full-design: 64.8 Wh

energy-rate: 0 W

voltage: 12.069 V

charge-cycles: 21

percentage: 99.9835%

temperature: 25 degrees C

capacity: 100%

technology: lithium-ion

icon-name: 'battery-full-charged-symbolic'

History (charge):

1711277584 99.983 fully-charged

When i unplug it now it depletes like normal, it says it lasts 15 hours wich i don't think is right. it depletes to 97 percent and then immediately drops to 0.

I have reset the SMC and pram and that didn't do much (edit: it has a 6000mAh 66Wh battery from Hesker)

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 4:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 10:38 AM

Correct. You should have it replaced. Take it back to Apple or the Authorized Service Provider where you had the battery replaced.

Similar questions

9 replies

Mar 24, 2024 7:26 PM in response to senne48

That battery is bad. You can easily see that the Full Charge Capacity (FCC) is at 70% of its original Design Capacity.

energy-full is the FCC with a value of 475.272 Wh

energy-full-design is the Design Capacity with a value of 64.8 Wh

Do the math.

475.22 divided by 64.8 = 70.5%

Apple usually considers anything below 80% (perhaps 77%) as Consumed....meaning most people probably won't be happy with battery performance at that point. That is also the level when Apple will actually allow their techs to replace a battery. Your battery is way below this level. It doesn't matter that it may be fairly new and only have 20 charge cycles on it.....this battery is bad.

Unfortunately the quality of third party batteries is extremely poor even when purchased from a respected vendor such as OWC or iFixIt. It appears a 7,1 laptop is from 2010. It may be very hard getting a good battery for it since many of them have probably been sitting on a shelf for a while. OWC & iFixIt are your best options for getting a decent battery.

My MacBook 7.1 is measuring the battery level incorrectly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.