Video stops when using tvOS, continuity camera and Zoom app.

Was trying to use the new tvOS Zoom app and continuity camera today and the video started just fine but after a somewhat random periods of generally about 15 minutes or so the video in the Zoom app turns off (as if I had turned it off) and I am then forced to restart the connection. So I am attempting to figure out if this is an issue I can resolve or if I should simply punt. Because it involves Apple, my ISP, my LAN, and a third party app it is a bit more complicated.

I believe that the internet connection was good enough because none of the video or audio from the other participants were impacted. So I think I can eliminate the ISP as an issue.

Even when video drops audio is OK so some of the processes in Zoom for the Apple TV appear to be working.

So it seems that for some reason Zoom sees the video connection dropping and in the UI it makes it appear like I stopped the video. When that happens I am forced by Zoom to select the video source which includes my iPhone using Continuity camera.

At this point I do not think I can collect enough information to determine why the continuity camera connection is being dropped. It could be an issue in the Zoom app or with Continuity Camera and its connection from the AppleTV to the iPhone.

I am using an AppleTV 4K gen 2 running tvOS 17.4, and iPhone running iOS 17.4.1. The Zoom app was installed yesterday and is version 5.17.5.

I have not experienced issues with continuity camera and Zoom when I use it on my MacBookPro for work which I would think indicates both Apple & Zoom understand how make this work. So it is perhaps a bit more likely that it is the platform. But that is pure guessing on my part.

I would love to have log files to look at for a few more clues.

Will do a bit more testing of this to look for clues and will also look on Zoom forums.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on Mar 24, 2024 3:08 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 24, 2024 4:08 PM in response to AgingKeeper

OK I have done a bit more testing. I started by measuring the time it took for the video to stop. The first 3 evaluations had the video stopping in between 15 & 17 minutes (the actual time measurements were made on my phone and were not precise ;) ). I then went into settings and noticed that the AppleTV is set to Sleep after 15 minutes. So assuming this 15 minutes is approximate I thought it might be a/the source of my issue.

I then changed the time to sleep from 15 minutes to 5 minutes and ran my test again. This time the video stopped after about 8 minutes. In all cases the AppleTV did not go to sleep.

So there seems to be a correlation between the sleep setting and the stopping of the video. Not sure if the Zoom app is not paying attention to something or if tvOS is causing this problem. I will post a note with my findings with Zoom’s forums as well as submit feedback to Apple.

May 8, 2024 8:32 AM in response to AgingKeeper

Following! We excersise every morning and we use zoom on Apple TV for it. My wife’s phone works without issues, but when we try mine I have the same issue as you, at around 15min into the class the phone gets disconnected. I thought it was the auto screen lock and remove that, but didn’t work. Now we can only use my wife’s phone.

both are iPhones 15 pro.

did you find a solution? I will like this to be fixed on my phone.

mahalo

Video stops when using tvOS, continuity camera and Zoom app.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.