Will charging from an ungrounded outlet destroy my battery?

When I got to Bali my phone battery was at 83% health. I noticed it would vibrate when charging (forum says due to outlet being ungrounded). After two weeks it went down to 79% and I replaced my iPhone 12 battery and cleaned the charging port. I went to another town and experienced the vibrating phone at that outlet too. I’m back at my first place now where I have a long stay. I’m worried that the outlet will destroy my new battery. Does anyone know if an ungrounded outlet causing a phone to vibrate, will also destroy the battery? And if so, what to do about it? Thank you

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 2:42 AM

1 reply

Mar 25, 2024 3:08 AM in response to Jason8225

Jason8225 wrote:

Does anyone know if an ungrounded outlet causing a phone to vibrate, will also destroy the battery? And if so, what to do about it? Thank you

Don't worry, a vibrating phone while charging from an ungrounded outlet likely won't harm your battery directly. However, ungrounded outlets can have other electrical problems that could damage your phone.

Here's what to do:

• Stop charging your phone from that outlet.
  • Get the outlet checked by a qualified electrician. They can fix any problems and make sure it's safe to use.
  • In the meantime, try charging your phone from a different outlet.  For even better protection, consider using a surge protector. A surge protector safeguards your device from harmful voltage spikes and irregularities, which can be more common with ungrounded outlets.
  • If you experience frequent power outages and need uninterrupted charging, a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) is another option. A UPS provides temporary battery backup during outages, allowing you to safely shut down your phone or continue using it for a limited time.
  • Make sure you're using a high-quality charging cable and adapter. Cheap or damaged chargers can also cause problems.

If your phone keeps vibrating even after trying these steps, contact Apple Support or take it to an authorized service center for further inspection.

Will charging from an ungrounded outlet destroy my battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.