Wallpaper displays incorrectly (partial screen), and will not let me change it to a different image.

New Mac Mini Pro M2, Ventura. The default blazing yellow desktop was intolerable, so the first thing I did when setting up was change it to one of the standard patterns. Now I have two problems: After going to sleep, when the Mac wakes up, the image displays on only part of the screen — basically, it has shrunk down to about 2/3 the size of the desktop. The second problem is, I can't change the wallpaper — at all. Clicking on a new image in the wallpaper control panel changes the image in the thumbnail display, but not on the desktop. So I am stuck with this one image occupying 2/3 of the desktop, which looks really stupid.

Here is what it looks like:

MacBook Pro (M2, 2022)

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 4:10 PM

Similar questions

3 replies

Mar 26, 2024 9:57 AM in response to mvheim

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

IIf the above doesn't help try the folowing:

Where are your desktop photos located? They should be in the Macintosh HD - Data/Library/Desktop Pictures folder.

I renamed my computer to Toad Hall

Then put in a jpg file of the photo you want to use as your Desktop into that folder or a sub-folder with others you want to use. Then try to access them via the system settings as you normally do. I made sure the pixel dimensions of the photos are the same as my monitor's screen.

Wallpaper displays incorrectly (partial screen), and will not let me change it to a different image.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.