Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPhone 15 Pro battery drain after IOS 17.4.1 update

After updating my iphone 15 pro to IOS 17.4.1, my battery drains a lot faster. No changes to my usage, and also observed my battery for a couple of days and definitely sure it is draining much faster than before the update

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 15 Pro, iOS 17

Posted on Mar 25, 2024 7:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 10:05 PM

I have the same problem, battery drain very fast even disabling background app updates etc after update to iOS 17.4 (and 17.4.1)

I hope someone at Apple is reading the massive numbers of topics about this issue.

15 replies

Apr 9, 2024 8:49 PM in response to Rycules

My 12 Pro Max battery was fine, and so was my wife’s iPhone 12, until update 17.4.1! The update now drains my battery all the way down even when I’m not using it and my wife’s battery goes dead before she gets home from work while it used to last two days. Is trying to force people to update their phones? or do they simply put out poor quality updates? I’m just about ready to dump Apple. It’s time to start thinking about updating my phone and I’m pretty confident that I need to do something besides iPhone. Which brands have the best battery life?

Apr 4, 2024 12:46 AM in response to Rycules

Some fixes might help you fix this problem, which I discovered after exploring several blogs.

1. You should turn off your iPhone's Location Services. I would not recommend giving location access to all apps.
  2. Some widgets, like weather and news widgets, might cause an issue because they continue to work on your device. So, if you are not using them, it is better to remove them from your home screen.
  3. You can turn on Optimized Battery Charging if it is disabled on your iPhone.
  4. Turn off the Background App Refresh Feature to stop the app from refreshing data in the background. To do this, go to Settings >>> General >>> Tap Background App Refresh and turn it off.
  5. Lastly, you can enable Low Power Mode on your iPhone.

Apr 13, 2024 5:23 AM in response to Rycules

My daughter had a 13 pro and her battery life was becoming terrible so just assumed it was because it was an older phone. Spent the big bucks and moved to 15 pro (even tho I really wanted to wait on the 16). Had issues installing new iOS 17.4.1. Kept getting stuck and wouldn’t finalize. After talking to Apple support and many hours I had to update it via usb cord and the computer. I haven’t done that since before iCloud. They had no answer but I went with it. After the following day of normal use her battery was on 2% by dinner time. A brand new phone always has and should last the entire day on normal use. After research I disabled background update. Noticed her photos had taken over 4 hours of the time. I’ve never researched this before so not sure if that’s the issue we will see today. I’m so tired of spending so much money and time figuring all these things out. Her last phone had to be swapped out 8 months in from a default. I don’t feel like support ever has a real answer. And I’m over here turning features off that we pay to use so the phone is USABLE. So frustrating.

iPhone 15 Pro battery drain after IOS 17.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.