Apple Maps constantly opening over California. I live in the UK.

iMac M1 up to date software (not beta). Connected to the internet via ethernet as a preferred option but see below regarding wifi.

I am in the UK. My contact details are correct. If I open Apple Maps connected to ethernet only, it opens up over California. If I turn on wifi, maps open up over my house. If I want to navigate my way to somewhere I have to enable wifi first or manually select where I live (may address is a favourite), which strikes me as wrong.

But then if I use wifi, the system will start to rename my computer saying this computers is already on this network. It is now J(277). That is 277 iteration of the same name and this is also annoying.

How do I get the device/software to just accept my home address for every use connected to ethernet only? Bonus for why the systems keeps renaming the computer when I enable wifi.

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 12:10 AM

Similar questions

17 replies

Mar 26, 2024 1:10 AM in response to J400SE

On the iterations, it's from opening new connections when it's already connected, you can rename the Computer Name in the Sharing Pref Pane.

Are you running any VPN, Anti-Virus, or Cleaning apps?

Try making a new location for each interface, one for Wifi & one for Ethernet...

This may look difficult to some but is pretty easy taken step by step...

In Ventura & up, exchange Sys Settings for Sys Prefs...

Convert the following System Preferences to System Settings...

Make a New Location, Using network locations in Mac OS X ...

System Settings>Network, top of window>Locations>Edit Locations, little plus icon, give it a name.

System Settings>Network, click on the little gear at the bottom next to the + & - icons, (unlock lock first if locked), choose Set Service Order.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

System Settings>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

System Setttings>Network, unlock the lock if need be, highlight the Interface you use to connect to Internet, click on the advanced button, click on the DNS tab, click on the little plus icon, then add these numbers...

Apply.

Apr 5, 2024 7:03 AM in response to BDAqua

After letting this run for a while since this post from BDAqua, the locations and setting connection order seems to have nailed the iterations. This means I can leave the wifi on and not get the annoying name increase every time wifi and ethernet compete. That also means maps is behaving with wifi on.

Thanks.

(now the OS re install cos disk errors, oh well.)

Mar 26, 2024 11:23 PM in response to hcsitas

Apologies for the delay. Part of the problem is the iteration of the name increasing if I use wifi, see other problem as mentioned. This has been happening for some time (it just hit that point of "lets ask someone"). I just cannot see why MacOS cannot pin a desk top to an address with an option and that will be home, no wifi. I thought I was missing something obvious.

Only time I use it is when I plan a route for a trip or check traffic to the next city etc.

Mar 26, 2024 11:38 PM in response to BDAqua

OK, been looking at this, threw me for mo. the option for location in Sonoma is in a drop down box in System Settings>Network> bottom right drop down box (no gear logo)

Proxies wont work with iCloud Private relay but I notice 8.8.8.8. is google and aI prefer to avoid them.

Will try the network locations later after I have had a chance to get to grips with it.

Thank you.

Mar 28, 2024 2:13 AM in response to hcsitas

Old fashioned, prefer hard wired where possible for internet especially when I have 500mb/s download speeds to play with.

My mansion is about the size of a shoe box and ISP router can sometimes be flakey, though this latest one surprises me compared to the older one (that older one was really really flakey, had to use a 3rd party router but fibre to the home requires this new router for certain functions).

Mar 28, 2024 2:24 AM in response to BDAqua

Yeah, I know iPhone is fine, as is iPad. iCloud relay will not allow manual DNS inputs (disabling relay is not a fix either). Just that I thought that Apple will allow you to pin home on the desk top in maps somehow and work off that (You know, dropped pin or the contacts means home, desk top is here, X marks the spot). Seems I am misguided.

Hit a few snags with disk errors (unrelated, needs a reformat) but you mention of locations settings, seems to be working. I have set up Ethernet as "Home Ethernet" then wifi as "home wifi" and ordered them as per instructions and it seems to be holding, it was on auto. (But I suspect a reformat may be on the way due to aforementioned errors and will have to re input changes).

Gonna have to reformat then start again and make sure its a solid fix on the iteration's using "locations" (this reformat is gonna be a pain, yes I am all backed up, hate it when this happens).

Mar 28, 2024 2:26 AM in response to J400SE

As I previously mentioned, Apple needs precise location for various reasons including and especially security, so a fix/workaround can't be counted upon.

As for speeds, my WiFI easily tops 500 Mbps. In fact it goes all the way to 1300 Mbps if in the same room. Unless you notice real degradation in WiFi, there's no reason to avoid it. It's perfect for shoeboxes - actually makes your fibre work harder.

Mar 28, 2024 2:43 AM in response to hcsitas

Yeah, call it years of working in an environment where we didn't trust wifi when a hard wired option was available. (My test shows a 80mb/s difference and sometimes higher and appreciate many things can affect that especially when I see so many local same ISP and channel conflicts using the Apple WiFi sniffer)

But look like the annoying naming iterations are on a fix leading to more use especially if I can order the method as mentioned by BDAqua.

Apr 6, 2024 1:41 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks, already got but don't like the extension to check external disks, it does work with the internal but shows nothing. I rarely use it. Errors through searches with Apple Diskutil. Answers already found indicate reformat. Comprehensive backup plan across cloud, several HD and off site so data loss not a huge issue. Just a drag.

Edit. Etre Check shows nothing either.

Apple Maps constantly opening over California. I live in the UK.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.