Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

How accurate is the iPhone battery health indication?

Dear community,

my iPhone Health is shown as 80% but I feel that it is much worse. Is the iPhone health percentage shown in the Settings usually accurate?

I believe that if I would have the battery of my iPhone replaced (also at non-official phone supply shops), it should be back to 100%?

Many thanks!

EDIT: I am referring to my iPhone 13, I accidentally selected my old iPhone in the forum settings.

iPhone 6s Plus

Posted on Mar 26, 2024 9:31 AM

7 replies

Mar 26, 2024 9:39 AM in response to Iosuser1234567

I'd say it's reasonably accurate. You can contact Apple and have them run a diagnostic:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

I believe that if I would have the battery of my iPhone replaced (also at non-official phone supply shops), it should be back to 100%?

If you have the battery replaced by someone other than Apple or an Authorized Apple Service Provider, I don't believe you'll see any percentage in Settings>Battery>Battery Health. Also, Apple doesn't sell parts so, any battery you get may have questionable provenance.

Mar 26, 2024 9:44 AM in response to lkrupp

The battery health indicator is a guideline. The real test is how long a charge lasts during normal daily use. If your iPhone doesn’t last all day then it’s likely the battery needs replacement. I have an iPhone 13 and my battery health is still 94% after two years and lasts all day of normal use.

Apple’s current policy is to not replace a battery until the health is below 80%.

iPhone Battery Service - Apple Support

Battery replacement for a plain iPhone 13 is $89. If you think you need to replace the battery then use Apple’s service, not some third party repair shop.

Mar 26, 2024 9:45 AM in response to Iosuser1234567

IdrisSeabright is 100% correct. Only Apple or actual Apple Authorized Service Provider have access to authentic Apple parts. If you pay some iFixit type shop to replace the battery, Battery Health will never display on your phone again. And, you will forfeit any ability to have the phone serviced by Apple in the future should need Apple Support.

It's not worth going with a cheap 3rd party battery. Your phone is ready to have the battery replaced. Apple or AASP's charge something linke $89 to replace the battery in your iPhone. It's more than worth it to have the phone receive an authentic part and keep access to Apple Support should you need them.

Mar 26, 2024 12:45 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thanks a lot for all your answers! Is there a way to see all authorised resellers?

Also, would Apple still replace my battery even though the health is shown as 88%? However, I need to charge it at least once a day, so prob it currently lasts around 4 hours of active internet + AirPods + Google Maps Location History usage.

Looking forward to your tips!

How accurate is the iPhone battery health indication?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.