Quartz Filter compression options don't seem to do anything

I duplicated the "Reduce File Size" Quartz filter, in order to set up one with higher resolution (never understood why the default filter has a resolution of a needle's tip), so I removed the "Image Sampling" options and kept only the "Image Compression" one.

However, seems like no matter what image compression setting I choose, the resulting PDF created with this filter is exactly the same.

Any ideas?

iMac 27″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 2:13 AM

6 replies

Mar 28, 2024 12:15 PM in response to VikingOSX

When exporting a PDF and apply a Quartz filter to it, you can alter various settings, as per the attached image. So, I would expect that exporting a file as PDF and selecting the "Reduce File Size" filter would compress the included images as jpeg. Which seems like it is the deal, when using the default "Reduce File Size" filter. However, because I need a larger resolution file than the default, I duplicated the filter and completely removed the "Image Sampling" component from the filter. Now, it seems that the image compression setting does nothing.

Mar 28, 2024 3:23 AM in response to VikingOSX

The PDF file I am trying to export using the filter is a two-page LZW-compressed TIFF file created by me. If I export the same file as jpeg with low quality, it definitely shrinks in size, plus gets pixelated, as expected. However, altering jpeg quality using the jpeg compression setting in the Quartz filter, does nothing. It should.

Quartz Filter compression options don't seem to do anything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.