I have quite a large iTunes library, is there a way of retrieving the library onto my new MacBook from my old MacBook?

In the last year I replaced my mid 2009 MacBook with a 2021 MacBook M1. On the 2009 version I had quite a large iTunes library of music, is there a way of retrieving the library onto my new MacBook? Am I right in thinking that an iTunes library is stored I the cloud and not on an actual MacBook hard drive so should be accesable to my new MacBook?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 8:52 AM

3 replies

Mar 27, 2024 10:03 AM in response to soulflavas

The older one's iTunes Library content can be migrated into the newer one's Music library. It is not stored in iCloud — other than any iTunes purchased content, which can be downloaded to the new Mac by signing in with the Apple ID you used to purchase that content.

The usual method of setting up a new Mac is to use Migration Assistant: Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support.

Mar 30, 2024 4:38 PM in response to soulflavas

Yes.

To be clear, nothing is stored in iCloud other than a record of your iTunes Store purchases. In other words everything in your iTunes Library — including iTunes purchased items, music from other sources, music that you ripped from CD or otherwise imported into iTunes — will have been stored locally on your Mac, and (if you use Time Machine) backed up in Time Machine as well.

I have never lost anything since the inception of iTunes many years ago. Album artwork is another story though. For some reason much of it was lost along the way, so if you put a lot of work into it as I did, don't get attached to your album artwork.

I have quite a large iTunes library, is there a way of retrieving the library onto my new MacBook from my old MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.