Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Getting stuck on 14.4.1 install at 30 minutes remaining

Several attempts to install update 14.4.1 have resulted in “preparing macOS Sonoma 14.4.1 . . 30 minutes remaining” seeming to be stuck with the blue bar at about 60% and not moving.

rebooted once same issue when installing. Downloads fine but can’t seem to install.

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 8:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 12, 2024 12:21 AM

I had the same issue.

To be able to install 14.4.1 – and any other future versions if the issue persist:

1. In the Apple menu select App Store
  2. Search for "Sonoma"
  3. Click the Get button

Il will download the installer app to your Applications folder (the installer app is about 14GB in size).

Once the download was completed I had to reboot the system as the automatic upgrade prevented somehow the installer to start – after rebooting I was finally able to upgrade by double clicking on the "Install Sonoma" app.

Hope this helps!

44 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 12, 2024 12:21 AM in response to salemlawyer

I had the same issue.

To be able to install 14.4.1 – and any other future versions if the issue persist:

1. In the Apple menu select App Store
  2. Search for "Sonoma"
  3. Click the Get button

Il will download the installer app to your Applications folder (the installer app is about 14GB in size).

Once the download was completed I had to reboot the system as the automatic upgrade prevented somehow the installer to start – after rebooting I was finally able to upgrade by double clicking on the "Install Sonoma" app.

Hope this helps!

Apr 11, 2024 1:54 PM in response to salemlawyer

MacBook Air 2020

I FINALLY am updated.

After letting it sit for over two hours at 20m remaining, then trying Safe Mode several times and having the same problem, I reinstalled iOS by holding down the black power button until my drive popped up, then clicked Options, followed the prompts, reinstalled iOS, once it was done reset once more, and the update had been completed. Nothing was removed from my comp and now I’m good to go. That was a lot of trial and error, and I haven’t read the updated messages on this thread, so maybe someone else already came to this conclusion, but hopefully this helps someone! What an unnecessary nightmare.

Apr 11, 2024 1:13 PM in response to sushiparties

I ended up reinstalling Sonoma and now I have the latest OS. My apps and documents didn't get wiped, everything is the same as before the reinstall. I'm not sure if this would be the same case for everyone.

I did the reinstall from the "Options" menu which pops up when holding down the power button on boot up, same method for getting option to boot in safe mode.

Apr 2, 2024 10:58 AM in response to Old Toad

So I called Apple Support and after doing about an hour of diagnostics he decided a reinstall of Sonoma was necessary. Why it never installed properly wasn't discovered, but a reinstall of the OS solved the issue. In fact, the computer is running a bit faster after the reinstall. I waited a few days to post because I wanted to make sure the reinstall worked.

Apr 15, 2024 11:32 AM in response to deblynn51

The size of the installer is 12,1 GB: do you have enough space to download the full installer?

Did the installer started automatically at the end of the download?

It should have started automatically if the file was downloaded completely.

Please note you need to run the installer instead following the standard update procedure from the Apple > System settings... > General > Software Update menu.

To run the installer open the Applications folder and look for the "Install Sonoma" icon: if you don't see the icon it means the download is not completed yet or you do not have enough space to download it. In such case delete some files (we all usually keep files in the downloads folder even when we don't need them anymore) and try to download the installer again.

Also, the full installation process takes at least 30/40 minutes to complete, so be patient.

Mar 27, 2024 3:13 PM in response to salemlawyer

I've had better luck from the Safe Mode because I evidently had some 3rd party software that interfered with the downloading and installing so try the following:

#1 - boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3-5 minutes as it's doing the following; 
• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)
• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
• Disables user-installed fonts 
• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

#2 - go to the System/Software Update preference pane and begin the download.

#3 - download and run the installer from the Safe Mode.

Apr 13, 2024 8:07 AM in response to salemlawyer

New MacBook Air M3 delivered yesterday, with Sonoma 14.3 pre-installed. Naturally the first thing to do is update the software (in this case 14.4.1).

• First we had the "30 minutes remaining" issue
  • Then we tried Recovery Mode, and it hung displaying an apple logo
  • Luckily, after a forced reboot, it came back with the original installation
  • Finally, we try MrCamaleo's solution
  • At first it seemed to jump back to the Software Update screen
  • But, it worked, and I am now running 14.4.1

Getting stuck on 14.4.1 install at 30 minutes remaining

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.