How do I use a HDRI image to light 3D models (.USDZ) in Apple Motion?

I have a scene in Apple Motion with a 3D model in USDZ format with PBR (physically based rendering) based materials. This means the robot should realistically reflect a panorama HDR environment image. But how do I add a 360 degree HDRI environment to light this model in Motion?

What I have: The USDZ 3D model in Apple Motion with no realistic environmental lightning and reflections.

What I want to achieve: realistic PBR lightning and reflections (example from Cheetah3D).

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Mar 27, 2024 6:46 PM

3 replies

Mar 28, 2024 8:01 AM in response to claude_210

You are right. Apple Motion have very poor integration with 3D objects in USDZ file format.

From Apple's support article on Motion:

"Motion’s cameras and lights interact with 3D objects, but shadows, drop shadows, and reflections are not available for 3D objects. Additionally, camera depth-of-field settings have no effect on 3D objects."

Source: Guidelines for working with 3D objects in Motion - Apple-support (SE)

So yes, 3D objects in Motion are very limited and doesn't work with realistic 360 HDR panorama images for lightning, reflections or even shadows. Unfortunately.

How do I use a HDRI image to light 3D models (.USDZ) in Apple Motion?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.