Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iPad Pro (3rd generation) not fully charging

OS 17.3.1

Posted on Mar 28, 2024 5:20 AM

2 replies

Mar 28, 2024 5:25 AM in response to wildwoodwoman

iPadOS 17.4.1 is current. If you have not yet updated to this version, you should do so - as updates include both functional fixes and essential security updates for your iPad.

When used in kiosk applications - where external power is connected for extended periods of time - the iPad may modify its charging strategy and limit battery charge to ~80% of maximum. This modified charging strategy is designed to reduce chemical ageing that might otherwise occur if 100% charge is maintained at all times.

Nominal 100% charging will be restored when a normal charge/discharge routine is restored.

More information about iPad’s battery management can be found here:

About iPad and iPhone Charge Management Feature – Apple Support

As for charging your iPad - if the charging cable won’t properly seat or easily fit into the charging port of the iPad, this might indicate that either dirt or lint is obstructing the plug, or the plug or charging socket have been damaged. A damaged charging cable must be replaced - whereas a damaged charging port must be repaired.

If the problem is due to a visible obstruction, you may be able to remove it yourself*. With good light, using a sharpened wooden matchstick or plastic toothpick, very gently try to dislodge a visible the obstruction from the socket. Be careful to avoid damaging the delicate electrical contacts within the socket. Note that a USB-C socket has an obvious "tongue" within the socket.

(*) Removal of an obstruction is often best entrusted to the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the appropriate tools and expertise are available:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

If the charging problem is not mechanical, these support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W (i.e., 2.4A @5V) or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters (1.0A @5V) intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Some third-party USB-C power adapters (and portable PowerBanks) may not support USB PD (Power Delivery). Power Delivery mutually negotiates the charging voltage; the source, load and cable are all elements involved in the negotiation protocol. Unless the Power Adapter explicitly supports USB PD, it will almost certainly fail to charge the iPad; proprietary charging standards, such as QC (Quick Charge), are not supported.

Many computer USB ports also cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, you can initiate and manage your support cases from Apple devices using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apr 18, 2024 6:47 AM in response to LotusPilot

I went to the local Apple Genius Bar with my Boot Looping

Ipad Pro since I updated to ios update 17.4.1. The lady linked mine to a Mac

laptop and installed the ios update 17.4.1 

version ending 237. After it installed she suggested I should create a

new Apple ID which I did complete. Next she ran a complete diagnostic test of

my Ipad hardware which passed with no problems highlighted. I came home and

completed setting up the Ipad. It all seemed ok until back came the random

switching off followed by a reboot again and again and again. This time I

didnot download any previous backups stored on Icloud. This is making me

consider changing to a Samsung Tablet.

iPad Pro (3rd generation) not fully charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.