📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

tvOS 18 is now available

Updates elevate cinematic experiences and make it even easier to manage the home. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple 4K TV no longer outputs Dolby 5.1

Hi

I have an Apple 4K TV box connected by HDMI to an LG 4K Television. I then have a Cambridge Audio surround sound amp connected to the TV via an optical lead. This setup used to work fine with Dolby 5.1 being decoded by the amp. A few months ago this stopped working and I could only get stereo. I have tried a range of different settings on the tv and Apple TV to no avail.

Subsequently, I have downloaded the Apple TV app onto the TV, and although a bit clunky compared to the external unit, outputs 5.1 through the TV. Worth noting that all the other tv apps, Netflix, Prime TV etc all work fine with Dolby 5.1.

i presume a recent update to the Apple TV 4K must have caused this. It’s a shame as I now make all my TV show purchases through Prime TV!

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Apple TV 4K (2nd generation)

Posted on Mar 30, 2024 1:52 AM

Similar questions

4 replies

Mar 30, 2024 10:31 AM in response to MC1210

Is this amp unit without HDMI connectivity then?

As optical supports compressed Dolby Digital 5.1 and uncompressed stereo, but not higher bandwidth formats, it is key to set the Apple TV box to output audio in Dolby Digital 5.1 format (not Auto) for surround sound. Verify that your Settings are still as intended.

Adjust other audio settings on Apple TV - Apple Support

↳ Audio Format﹥Auto (PCM Multichannel with or without Dolby Atmos)

﹥Change Format﹥Dolby Digital 5.1 | Stereo

Verify that the Audio Output on Apple TV is set to the TV, and that the TV is set to passthrough this audio untouched (no downmixing) to its optical output.

Mar 31, 2024 9:17 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi there - I have an LG SJ800V television connected by the optical output to a Cambridge Audio Azur 540V surround amplifier. I have tried adjusting the settings as suggested but I can only get stereo out of the amplifier still. As mentioned, all the tv apps are working fine for 5.1.

Thanks for the reply and tips, any other thoughts / suggestions would be gratefully received.

Apr 2, 2024 2:33 PM in response to hcsitas

Thanks - I appreciate the reply - the optical output / amp setup still works well in 5.1 with the LG Television and TV streaming apps (including the ATV app) so I won't be changing it any time soon. Like you said, I will just make my show purchases through Amazon instead of Apple TV going forward!

Apple 4K TV no longer outputs Dolby 5.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.