You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use existing iCloud email for Apple ID account?

Years ago I created an iCloud account for an old iPad, but used PC for everything else. I'm now using MacBook, created an Apple ID using my gmail address, and when prompted to create an iCloud email name I can't use my old one because it's "taken" (by me). I have been trying to find a way to merge the two, but it doesn't seem possible. Sorry to be a bit baffled by the Apple ID vs iCloud email thing, but is it possible to have my gmail as my Apple ID and my old iCloud email address also?

Posted on Mar 30, 2024 10:20 AM

2 replies

Mar 30, 2024 2:06 PM in response to Thrillgiant

You can't have two email addresses as Apple ID. You can have an iCloud as an Apple ID but I do not recommend you do that because if you lose access to your account you won't be able to read any emails Apple sends you to help you with that. You also can't re-use an email address of any kind that has been used with Apple before. Then finally, even if you create a brand new iCloud mail address, Apple won't let you use that as an Apple ID for 30 days.

Mar 30, 2024 10:33 AM in response to Thrillgiant

No it is not possible. Two Apple ID's cannot be merged. When you created the gmail Apple ID, you can select a name for your iCloud email that has not been previously used, but once that is done, then that iCloud email will always be linked to your Apple ID that you created. More information about creating your iCloud email is available here:

Create a primary email address for iCloud Mail - Apple Support

You can also create aliases to your iCloud email to use additional email addresses.

Add and manage email aliases for iCloud Mail on iCloud.com - Apple Support

Use existing iCloud email for Apple ID account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.