Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Computer constantly restarts after updating to Sonoma 14.4.1

Yesterday I updated my Mac Studio M2 Max to Sonoma 14.4.1. Since that time, it repeatedly shuts down and says "Your computer restarted because of a problem."

Any ideas??

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Mar 31, 2024 4:25 PM

16 replies

Apr 1, 2024 1:16 AM in response to RichHolland

How many times has the computer been restarted , by the user, since Sonoma 14.4.1 was applied ?

Restart in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

Safe Mode will also eliminate Third Party Software, extensions and drivers from loading.

It will only load the Minimum amount of Core Apple Processes to allow the the computer to function at a reduced Level of Performance 

Does the issue present in this mode ?

Apr 1, 2024 8:07 AM in response to RichHolland

RichHolland wrote:

Thanks for your input!

I did manually restart the computer a couple of times and that didn’t help.

Then I tried safe mode, and the problem still persisted.

There could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

If the issue is present in the dummy account - then, this appears to be a System Wide issue on the computer.

Download the Application Etrecheck  ( External Link ) directly from the Developer.

The Application is Not a " Silver Bullet "  and is  only a tool to examine the Hardware / Software used on this computer 

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer Hardware / Software used on this computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

Lastly - should you decide to use and post the Report now or at a later time, we are willing to have a very close look and offer some insights 

Apr 3, 2024 1:53 AM in response to RichHolland

RichHolland wrote:

I also ran Apple Diagnostics, and it returned code ADP000 No issues found.

Running the Apple Diagnostics is fine to do for the very basics of a Hardware check.

What it does not do, is check where the Third Party Software Software and Operating System installed on the computer is the root cause of this computer issues

To get a background on the suggested Etrecheck application.

At one time there was an  Etrecheck Application available on the Apple Apps Store.

Due to certain constrains place upon the Developer by APPLE, the developer chose to remove it from the Store and make is available Directly from them.

This specific application is well known, on these Forums,  as a Go To for trouble shooting and avoiding all the question / answer and question / answer to finally get the issue pinned down.

It is also known and reported by Reliable Sources that,  sometimes APPLE SUPPORT has invoked using this same Developer Distributed Version of Etrecheck application to trouble shot computer issues 

Apr 4, 2024 1:49 AM in response to RichHolland

Have the computer evaluated by the Professionals who have the Special Hardware Software and Expertise to diagnose the issue and offer possible solutions

Make an Appointment at the Apple Genius Bar or call 1 800 MyApple and have them evaluate the computer

Other locations call Centres 

Contact Apple for support and service

From the Supplied Report

2024-04-02 20:27:17 Kernel Panic (30 times)

First occurrence: 2024-03-31 12:53:58

Details:

panic(cpu 2 caller 0xfffffe002c022d70): "AppleT602XDPTXPort(lpdptx-phy

0)::deactivateTimeoutOccurred(0x100000410): deactivate() incomplete 10

seconds after displayRelease()! (check DCPEXT)\

Panicked task 0xfffffe24d13d81e8: 0 pages, 646 threads: pid 0: kernel_

External Link related to AppleT602XDPTXPort issue

https://github.com/waydabber/BetterDisplay/discussions/2622

Apr 4, 2024 5:20 AM in response to RichHolland

Welcome

To Truly have the hardware of machine checked via the Extensive Hardware Tools and Special Diagnostic Tools.

It would require taking the machine in for service

Not popular idea I know.

But expensive kit like this, I would not fool around and depend on the Builtin Apple Diagnostics to determine the hardware health

Not to labour on but have seen people use the same Builtin Diagnostics when getting a " Volume Mismatch " on every boot-up

Come to find out in some of their cases, a RAM Model had failed and not picked up at all

Apr 4, 2024 5:04 AM in response to PRP_53

Thanks, PRP_53

I suspected that this was an issue related to the computer going into and out of sleep mode. I'm not running any kind of third-party display management software (like in the thread you linked here); but it seems that I'm having the same symptom - crashing instead of going in and out of sleep mode properly.

Strange thing ... this happened only after I upgraded to 14.4.1, and has been happening consistently since upgrading to 14.4.1.

Rich

Apr 20, 2024 7:51 AM in response to RichHolland

I just want to provide one final update in case anyone views this thread later and is looking for solutions.

The symptoms I experienced: Immediately upon upgrading to Sonoma 14.4.1, the Mac began to crash on sleep. I'm not sure if it was associated with initiating sleep, or whether it happened during sleep, because it always happened when I was away from the computer. See elsewhere in this thread for details and reports.

My temporary "workaround" was that in Energy Saver system settings, I set it to "Prevent automatic sleeping when the display is off" and I physically turned my display off with its power button whenever I'd walk away from the computer. When I did that, the computer never crashed.

After tons of troubleshooting, and working with Apple support, it was deemed that it was software related, not hardware.

To solve the issue, I had to do an ERASE and REINSTALL of Mac OS.

I further ran into trouble and was not able to successfully restore my Mac from Time Machine backup, so I basically had to start from scratch and reinstall everything as if it was a brand new computer. Fortunately, all my documents and personal stuff was in iCloud.

I have experienced no issues since doing the erase and reinstall.

Apr 27, 2024 5:04 AM in response to RichHolland

Thanks for your various posts on this. I'm experiencing the same issue and have tried various changes along the lines of what you describe, though not yet reinstalled my system. I guess I need to do that next. Disappointing. This is the sort of rubbish that forced me away from Windows many years ago. I've never had to do it with a Mac until now.

Computer constantly restarts after updating to Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.