Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MacBook Pro microphone not working for some things

Hello,

Can anyone help with this please?

My microphone works for Siri, but not for an online language programme in Safari.

When I go to System Settings - Sound - Output & Input, the input level bar shows no input.

When I did an online mic test in Safari though, this showed that it was working.

I tried to add Safari to the list of programmes that can access the microphone, but there is only one programme listed and no way to add more.

Please see screenshots below.

I recently enabled Lockdown, but it seemed that I couldn't use the language programme while it was enabled, so I switched Lockdown off again and restarted the computer a number of times.

MacBook Pro 14″

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 6:20 AM

Similar questions

11 replies

Apr 26, 2024 6:49 PM in response to annanc14

I don't know about Chrome or Microsoft Edge:

Safari : Safari lets you mute audio in any open tabs—helpful when you’re listening to audio from one website, and unwanted audio starts playing from another.

Safari has a mute function in tabs:

Eg: for MacOS Sonoma (or choose an earlier MacOS at the top of the article below)

See: Mute audio in tabs in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Muting tabs and windows is a quick and temporary solution, but you can permanently block video for an individual website or for all websites in Safari.

Eg: For Sonoma: See: Stop autoplay videos in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Many programs or sites that use microphone will have an icon or other control like this muted one below from Zoom : you click the crossed icon to unmute, or the uncrossed icon to mute.

Also: You may need to check that the microphone is not already in use in another app, or game etc., when you want to use microphone in the the language site.

Apr 12, 2024 2:36 PM in response to annanc14

Wondering if there is online "Support" for the language program. If MacBook Pro was receiving a request to access the microphone, the program should appear in Safari > Settings > Websites > Microphone. so you can allow access. If it is an app, then the app should appear in the privacy window in your screenshot for permission.

Else, if you think it may be a hardware problem, since it seems on again, off again:

You may want to take your MacBook Pro to an Apple Store and have the experts check it out. You can make a reservation, and they will look at the situation ... if microphone needs expert attention they will explain, and give you a quote first.

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apr 4, 2024 8:16 PM in response to annanc14

Re: "MacBook Pro microphone not working for some things"

Those were great places to look! Thank you for letting us know there was no solution there.

You could also try Safari > Settings > Websites > Microphone ie: to see a list of sites that ask to use the microphone ... you can allow / (have sites) ask / or deny / access

Apr 25, 2024 2:13 PM in response to annanc14

Hi again, annanc14.

Re: "The next day the microphone couldn't hear anything again".

Wondering if the sound is somehow getting muted, since the microphone is working.

Re: "I changed from Safari to Chrome for the language website a few days ago"

Some website-programmers / designers / may cater mainly for particular browsers, as it can be quite a compatibility task to comply with all browsers, and not all programmers / designers have the necessary up-to-date skills. (There may be somewhere on the site, or in the programme, that spells out their system requirements.)

Apr 25, 2024 2:13 AM in response to brbo

Hi again. I thought that last setting change had fixed it, but it hadn't unfortunately. The next day the microphone couldn't hear anything again. I'm pretty sure the problem isn't the microphone though, as it always works fine for Siri and FaceTime.

I changed from Safari to Chrome for the language website a few days ago though, and I haven't had a problem since. Let's see if it stays that way. There doesn't seem to be anyone I can contact for tech support for the language site.

MacBook Pro microphone not working for some things

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.