Newsroom Update

New features come to Apple services this fall. Learn more >

Cannot move iPhone photos to Photo Library on my external hard drive

Operating with OS 17.4.1 and up until now it was easy to move photos from iPhone over to the photo library located on my external hard drive. I have been at this for 2 days now and nothing happens. What am I missing? Here's how I have done it before: open external hard drive > open photo library > click on my phone in left side bar > import new photos button and usually the import starts. Nothing occurs, help!

iMac (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 5, 2024 1:48 PM

3 replies

Apr 6, 2024 7:52 AM in response to flinthills

The first question we have to ask is, how is your external drive formatted. This is because, to avoid damaging the Photos Library an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Additionally, the drive can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted. The newest macOSs won't even allow a Library on a non-Mac formatted drive to open. See this:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

We need to know that answer to that before we can go much further...

May 23, 2024 1:18 PM in response to flinthills

I am having this same issue exactly the way it is being described. My external HDD is formatted correctly and I tried to copy the whole photo backup from my external HDD back to my MacBook. The import worked on that. I then copied it back to the external HDD and it doesn't allow to import. It used to work fine before the 17.4.1 update. I also updated my MacBook and iPhone to the latest version but no luck. Is this another new way for Apple to annoy its users?

Cannot move iPhone photos to Photo Library on my external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.