You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I remove an app icon from the menu bar?

Is there a way to remove an app icon from the menu bar on my Mac?

Specifically, I'd like to remove the Shortcuts app icon from my menu bar. I've searched the settings options within the Shortcuts app itself and also in the System Preferences (Desktop & Dock and Displays) on my Mac, but I've been unable to remove the icon from the menu bar. (maybe I'm missing something...)

The only thing I haven't tried is to totally remove Shortcuts from my Mac, which I'd prefer to not do.

Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1

iMac 24″

Posted on Apr 6, 2024 9:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 6, 2024 11:31 AM

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant the Dock. From my research, you can only remove the Shortcut Icon in the Menu, if you first remove the shortcuts designated in it.

Open Shortcuts.

Click on "Menu Bar" in the left side panel.

Then right click each item and choose "Remove from Menu".

After they are all gone, you can drag the shortcut icon off the menu.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 6, 2024 11:31 AM in response to larrybobba

I'm sorry. I misunderstood. I thought you meant the Dock. From my research, you can only remove the Shortcut Icon in the Menu, if you first remove the shortcuts designated in it.

Open Shortcuts.

Click on "Menu Bar" in the left side panel.

Then right click each item and choose "Remove from Menu".

After they are all gone, you can drag the shortcut icon off the menu.

Jun 25, 2024 2:23 PM in response to larrybobba

I've got two Malwarebytes icons on the top menu ribbon on my new MC2 Macbook Air purchased a month ago. (OS Sonoma 14.5. I can't drag them off. They both show a distortion that looks like an exclamation mark (I think to tell me my app isn't active as I'm using the free version). When I drag them off the ribbon holding down control, instead of an 'x' they show a The ISO 3864-1 prohibition sign - the 'no symbol'

Any ideas?

I can't find the app anywhere but Applications and the shortcus icons on the menu ribbon. Not in shortcuts or

Next I will delete the Malwarebytes program and reinstall.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Pen

Can I remove an app icon from the menu bar?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.