Apple Music (macOS) equalizer stops working after skipping songs

I have a custom equalizer preset created in Apple Music on macOS 14.4.1. I noticed today that if I am playing a song and then skip to another song (sometimes it takes a few skips), it will sound as though my equalizer is turned off -- everything begins to sound very flat.

If I go to Equalizer, it shows that it is checked (on) and that my custom EQ preset is selected. If I try switching to a different EQ preset, or change anything, it does absolutely nothing to the sound. If I turn it off, no change. If I exit Apple Music and open it again, it starts working as expected.

I believe this is a bug in Apple Music.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 6, 2024 5:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2024 3:10 PM

I have the same issue, and I've noticed it takes around 10 skips to disengage the EQ. Tried booting into Safe Mode, didn't resolve anything. I tried adjusting sound enhancer and crossfade settings, also didn't do anything. Seems like a system issue, guess we have to wait for it to be resolved.

It is very annoying to quit apple music and open it again every time I want to skip some songs, especially when I shuffled a large playlist. Hopefully this bug gets resolved soon.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2024 3:10 PM in response to akalsnes

I have the same issue, and I've noticed it takes around 10 skips to disengage the EQ. Tried booting into Safe Mode, didn't resolve anything. I tried adjusting sound enhancer and crossfade settings, also didn't do anything. Seems like a system issue, guess we have to wait for it to be resolved.

It is very annoying to quit apple music and open it again every time I want to skip some songs, especially when I shuffled a large playlist. Hopefully this bug gets resolved soon.

May 1, 2024 1:34 PM in response to akalsnes

Same issue here (16" M1 Max MBP). Sound quality is outstanding for the first few songs, then it drops out and only closing and re-opening Apple Music resolves the problem. I've disabled sound enhancer, crossfade, Dolby, Lossless, and every other audio setting I can find. I've tried manually setting the equalizer type for my entire library. Nothing works.

Bumping this for visibility as I listen to music a lot during the day through my MBP, and this issue is driving me nuts.

Apple Music (macOS) equalizer stops working after skipping songs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.