Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cellular network off after 17.4.1 update

Last night I updated to the most recent version, 17.4.1, and today my cellular network suddenly dropped and quit working. I tried everything I could think of, restarting, turning airplane mode on for a bit and back off, etc. nothing. So I called my carrier, AT&T and two different people could not figure out why my phone wouldn’t work.

I figure it was the update. Now when I go into general in settings and about, I get the pop up that I need to update my carrier settings but when I click update, it closes the window and does nothing. I NEED my phone for work and I’m getting nowhere. I’m hoping someone else has this issue or at least Apple knows what they messed up and will release a fix soon because I need to be able to make calls and right now my phone makes no calls unless it’s through Facebook messenger over WiFi.

Help!? Anyone?

iPhone 14 Plus

Posted on Apr 7, 2024 7:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 12:54 PM

Do you also have an iPhone 14 Plus???

Upvote if yes. Downvote if no, but you have same issue

64 replies

Apr 9, 2024 11:27 AM in response to SravanKrA

the iso update is surely the issue. Didn’t have any issues until my phone updated overnight. Went to my carrier, and they believe it is the iOS update. They tried a new e-sim, reset my network settings, amongst other things.

I work in software development and while things are tested thoroughly before deploying the changes, issues do sometimes still happen. No one is perfect and with the number of people having issues, I believe apple messed up the iOS update.

Apr 8, 2024 11:39 AM in response to SravanKrA

That was the ONLY thing I did differently. I even tried to reupdate it through my computer and I'm still having the same issue. I have no backup so I can't restore it so I am stuck with a brick until it's fixed. I'm thinking the carrier settings need to be updated but it refuses to update no matter how many ways I try and click update. I believe it to be the iOS because like I said that was literally the ONLY thing I did differently.

Is there anyway to manually update the carrier settings like you can do iOS updates through itunes? I've tried everything I can think of and it just won't. I depend on my phone for so many things and this is crippling me. I have only very small windows to take it to a store to fix so that is currently not an option anymore this week.

Apr 9, 2024 10:11 AM in response to Megandia

Update for me: Phone is still pretty much useless as a phone. I went to AT&T store and they couldn't do anything! My coworker is having the same problem! So it's pretty much confirmed a iOS update issue. I'll try to set up an appointment with apple and see if they can do anything. Otherwise I'm stuck until Apple releases a new update hopefully to fix this debacle they caused.

Apr 12, 2024 12:52 PM in response to Megandia

I have an iphone 14 plus. My phone would not connect to the verizon cellular network immediately after 17.4.1. Would not update carrier settings (would click the popup but nothing would happen.) Tried everything except factory reset, without avail.

Things were like this for 48 hours until I gave up and factory reset the phone, and it immediately restored connectivity. If you are desperate, try this. I did a reset while maintaining my e-sim card and it worked, so I didn't have to drive to the verizon store.

Good luck everyone, what a pain in the ***!

Apr 9, 2024 2:09 PM in response to SravanKrA

Sadly this situation may be the IOS update fault.

hundreds of people are having the same issue, and unfortunately it is all pointing towards the IOS. Telling people it’s not that can also make it harder for them

to seek resolution- as if they are like me and having this issue - cannot find any resolution.

some of us don’t have access to a backup and some updated overnight without expecting any issues

Apr 8, 2024 12:22 AM in response to Megandia

It surely is not iOS 17.4.1 because...

I conducted a thorough search of this forum using the term 'Cellular network after iOS' and uncovered numerous posts detailing similar issues across various iOS updates. This suggests that iOS updates may not consistently be the root cause. Below are a handful of examples extracted from over 6,000 search results:

"After iOS 17.4.1" will be an addition to this list posted by you.

Apr 12, 2024 10:55 PM in response to Megandia

Hi,

Apologies, without an older back-up this doesn't help, but for others like me who were desperately looking for a possible fix. Updated my 13 Mini to IOS 17.4.1 overnight and lost all connection to my mobile network. Came to these forums to see that I am not alone. Was only able to access internet, social media, and send messages via Wi-Fi.

This, touch wood, is working for me:

• Save a back-up of your phone as it currently is, with IOS 17.4.1, even with its bugs.
  • Restore your iPhone to a back-up that pre-dates that IOS update.
  • Let that happen, re-set up your phone according to the prompts, get it running (this was how I confirmed that it is the update that is the problem, not the provider, as my mobile network was totally fine and operating again on the older IOS)
  • Restore from a back-up again, but this time restore the back up that is with IOS 17.4.1

For me (here in Australia) this has allowed me back onto my network (4G at least - a return to 5G is a wait and see).

A caveat is that I'm restoring from back-ups on an iMac, not from the cloud. That may make no difference, but FYI.

Hope this helps a few people.

Gobsmacked that Apple must be aware of this but not acknowledging. Maybe they're frantically trying to fix!

Cellular network off after 17.4.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.