Mac Studio Kernel Panics every time the display goes to sleep

Hello Everybody!

I have recently bought a Mac Studio M2 (MQH73SM/A, 512GB/32GB).

I am using it with a Dough Spectrum One monitor (Link), attached with a HDMI cable.

Every time the Mac turns off the display, it panics and restarts. Log attached below.

I saw this post, where someone commented with a very similar panic message.

I am wondering if this could be caused by the display itself, or if this points to an issue with the Mac Studio. Any expert feedback much appreciated!

Also:

I know that this monitor company has a bad reputation, I only learned about that after I already purchased the monitor.

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 9:07 AM

The latest macOS versions are having various issues with automatic computer sleep mode.

Some systems crash and force a restart, others freeze up and are unresponsive.

As a test:

Turn on "Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off" and only allow the display to turn off.

Leave the Mac ON and allow the display to turn OFF during the day, then shut down for longer periods of non-use.

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 8, 2024 9:07 AM in response to benemacintosh

The latest macOS versions are having various issues with automatic computer sleep mode.

Some systems crash and force a restart, others freeze up and are unresponsive.

As a test:

Turn on "Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off" and only allow the display to turn off.

Leave the Mac ON and allow the display to turn OFF during the day, then shut down for longer periods of non-use.

Apr 11, 2024 12:23 PM in response to daetchief

It appears that without the second monitor being connected via HDMI the Mac Studio is happy… No Panics.

So, I’m looking more closely at the Dell monitor and as suspected, it has a DDC/CI feature that allows computer software to control/interact with the monitor. That has been disabled and the Dell monitor reconnected.  I’ll let everyone know in a couple of days how things evolve

Apr 8, 2024 1:00 PM in response to benemacintosh

benemacintosh wrote:

Thank you, will try!

You're welcome.

So you don't think a hardware fault / incompatibility is even likely?

No, because the same thing happens to a large number of newer Mac mini's and iMac's running the latest macOS versions. The hard part, is putting together which of other active services are involved in causing the problem. Which brings us to the Prevent automatic sleep work-around.

Apr 8, 2024 1:10 PM in response to benemacintosh

I've seen this panic restart happen more and less often as MacOS updates have been applied and as my hardware configuration has changed. The fog gets thicker where the solution should begin . . .

Received my Mac Studio [M2 Max/64GB/2TB SSD] last Christmas reutilizing my existing 27" Cinema Display [Mini DP] through an OWC 14 Port Dock and Dell 27" monitor [HDMI]. Initially the Cinema Display would periodically die/disappear and the Dell was the only display. The Cinema was updated to Studio Display. [OWC Dock mini DP taken out of service] started to see the panic restarts. Suspected hardware initially [OWC Dock] so removed it utilizing only the Mac Studio jacks. Also deactivated a Start-up app for the Contour Roller Mouse.

Everything was stable. even after repeated sleeping from both the menu as well as through dormancy over a 96 Hr period. Reconnected the Dock. Reenabled the Contour app and - most importantly did a cold-start reboot. So far things are stable. There was an OS software update a few days ago. Maybe the removal of the Cinema Display didn't get purged from registries? Fingers crossed. We'll keep updating - Good or Bad.

Apr 10, 2024 1:23 AM in response to daetchief

After 96 hours (+/-) of stable operations with and without the OWC 14 Port Dock attached - I changed the Energy setting to allow the monitors to sleep but not a complete dormancy of the Mac Studio. The panics again occurred.

I've removed the HDMI cable feeding the Dell 27" monitor and am again letting the Studio remain working/sleeping/waking to see what happens.

Apr 27, 2024 12:29 PM in response to benemacintosh

I think my issues with Display / Sleep Panic Restarts on my Mac Studio [2023 M2 / 6GB / 2 TB] have been eliminated or avoided. The Bottom Line: The HDMI port. You can review my previous posts for all the iterations of CPU / Monitor configurations i've tried but it seems if the second monitor is fed from the HDMI connector - there is a high probability of a panic reset while sleeping or coming out of a sleep. [Disclaimer: I didn't try using the HDMI port for a single monitor display...]

It has been 10 days since the last incident and I've has 'zero' issues once I replaced the HDMI-HDMI monitor cable with a USB-C to HDMI; feeding that directly from the Mac Studio.

Also enabled is the:

setting. If the problem reappears I'll post again - but for now I am SWEET!

Apr 8, 2024 11:40 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you. I am gonna try that, and also switching over to a USB C cable instead of HDMI.

Do you think this indicates a monitor issue? If this was caused by a weird HDMI implementation of or a fault with the monitor, I would prefer to return it as long as I still can. On the other hand, den.thed's answer seemed to indicate a known issue with macOS.

Apr 10, 2024 2:49 AM in response to daetchief

Thank you so much for doing this troubleshooting so thoroughly and also documenting it!

We are probably experiencing very similar issues.

I am super interested if detaching the HDMI Dell will solve your problem. For now, I am turning on "Prevent automatic sleeping when display is off" as per den.thed's recommendation, as this also seems to lead to stable operation for you.

Apr 12, 2024 12:46 AM in response to daetchief

Meanwhile, I have switched over to using DP over USB-C and connecting the Mac to the monitor with a C to C cable. The panics have stopped (48h stable so far, while there was at least one panic in the morning before).

In other news, a Mac mini (MNH73SM/A, 16GB, 512GB) bought at the same time as this Mac studio connected to a completely different make of monitor (Acer Nitro XV275K P3 27") using a HDMI cable has started exhibiting the same panic behaviour.

If I remember correctly, at least the Acer monitor also has a DDC/CI feature that can be toggled in the Menu. I will check it out next time I'm on site. Good call though!

Could it be that the monitors auto-off feature is clashing with MacOS trying to control it?

As in, MacOS turns off the display output, X minutes later the monitor turns off due to inactivity, and later still MacOS goes to sleep and in turn tries to turn off the monitor using DDC, which does not respond correctly as it is already off.

Apr 14, 2024 5:06 PM in response to daetchief

It’s been an eventful [at times] and rewarding week in regards to diagnosing these Panic Alerts.  The DDC/CI setting being off on my Dell S2718HN monitor turned out not to be the problem. The Mac Studio [M2/64GB/2TB] still randomly experienced Panic Reboots - And, sometimes I had another Panic Reset when initially trying to login afterwards. [not a new aspect, just failed to mention it before.]

Now, disconnecting the Dell Monitor completely from the HDMI jack is an inconvenience solution. Haven’t seen any Panics - except from Wifey who likes having a second monitor…

My next ploy is obtaining a USB-C to HDMI cable to eliminate using the HDMI port…. And we’ll see if it’s the port or the connection method at the monitor that is to blame.

Wifey asked: “Does this mean we need to get another Studio Display?” I answered, “Well, Maybe?”

Apr 17, 2024 10:29 AM in response to daetchief

Even with the second [Dell] monitor completely disconnected - still woke up this morning to a unscheduled reboot. Might be a transient panic and differs from the usual panic dump, but is still closely associated with CPU sleeping...

-------------------------------------------------------------------

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xfffffe0028fffc5c): Sleep transition timed out after 35 seconds while calling power state change callbacks. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOThunderboltFamily. Thread 0x15aa58.

Debugger message: panic

Memory ID: 0xff

OS release type: User

OS version: 23E224

Kernel version: Darwin Kernel Version 23.4.0: Fri Mar 15 00:12:49 PDT 2024; root:xnu-10063.101.17~1/RELEASE_ARM64_T6020

Fileset Kernelcache UUID: A5DBC30112639C0125B0F8101083FBF5

Kernel UUID: D3BBDD1F-7813-3F26-9F94-41BAABDA6E33

Boot session UUID: 02C72D75-360A-4E87-9498-455B667E7AC6

iBoot version: iBoot-10151.101.3

secure boot?: YES

roots installed: 0

Paniclog version: 14

Mac Studio Kernel Panics every time the display goes to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.