can you add local files using the Apple Music app on windows?

hi I was wondering if you were able to add local files thru the Apple Music app on windows and organize them by like album instead of using iTunes? I can’t seem to find an option to add anything to my library from my files. I tried to just add my music thru iTunes and then use the Apple music app but when I install the Apple Music app and try to open up iTunes to add files it won’t let me access any of my music on iTunes it only shows podcasts and audiobooks but when I uninstall the Apple music app iTunes shows my music library again.

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 9, 2024 1:51 PM

7 replies

Apr 10, 2024 3:10 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

I would love to continue to use iTunes. I had an awesome library built up in iTunes from all the CDs I previously purchased over many years and ripped to my computer. Unfortunately, I had to reimage my computer and lost my iTunes library. I still have the files but trying to reimport and it tells me I have to use Apple Music instead of iTunes. Not happy.

May 8, 2024 6:33 AM in response to Mykel_999

I was finally able to add my music to Apple Music a couple of weeks ago. Pretty much the same as it used to be in iTunes - click on the three dots at the top and select Library / Add folder to Library (or add files to library). I tried multiple times and it finally worked. Also, if you happen to import a folder more than once, you will have duplicates in your library. (Resolved by deleting the duplicate album on Apple Music and then reimporting.) The only thing I haven't done yet is to try to import the music to my phone. (which I guess I'll have to do through Apple Devices). I'm hesitant to do this because everything on my phone is working fine and I don't want to take a chance on screwing it up.

Note that this did not use the iTunes app - there is no way to import music anymore in iTunes after they split out the apps into three.

can you add local files using the Apple Music app on windows?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.