Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Live captions won’t stay off

I have an iPhone 12mini, iOS 17.4.1 and I have to repeatedly turn off the live captions. I’m not doing anything to turn it back on, I’ll just be doing something on my phone and see the icon in my screen that shows it’s actively listening. I go into accessibility settings and toggle it off but I find it back on again at a later time.

why won’t this stay off and is there any way to disable it permanently?

iPhone 12 mini, iOS 17

Posted on Apr 10, 2024 1:57 PM

1 reply

Apr 17, 2024 9:17 PM in response to Mkearne3

Hi Mkearne3

welcome to the Apple (user-to-user) Community!

Re: "I have an iPhone 12mini, iOS 17.4.1 and I have to repeatedly turn off the live captions" :

"why won’t this stay off and is there any way to disable it permanently?"

Wondering where you are using Live Captions:

Eg in FaceTime Turn on Live Captions in a FaceTime call on iPhone - Apple Support

says:

To stop showing the transcribed conversation on the screen, tap the screen, tap at the top of the FaceTime controls, then turn off Live Captions.

Else: Wondering just where you are turning them off ...( eg: you may be just "hiding" them because they return.)

Eg: Go to Settings  > Accessibility > Live Captions, then turn off Live Captions (beta).

Apple support's detailed article for iOS 17:

Get live captions in real time on iPhone - Apple Support

says:

"With Live Captions turned on: You can":

• Hide the transcription window: Tap . To restore the window, tap .

If the situation persists: You can send feedback to Apple to reach those who work behind-the-scenes and can make changes, if others are experiencing similar issues: Web-form for feedback: Feedback - iPhone - Apple

Live captions won’t stay off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.