📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iOS 18 is now available

Customize your iPhone in more ways than ever, stay connected with friends and family, and relive your favorite moments. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPhone 15 will not update to 17.4.1

I have been trying to set my new iPhone 15 up all day. The update 17.4.1 will not process. I have deleted corrupted attempts in iPhone storage and retried, many times. I have reset the phone many times. I have tried to update using phone and tried using MAC. When trying using iPhone it just gets stuck on "preparing to update" when using MAC it goes through the entire 20min process and then tells me my file is corrupt.

1. Phone has 100% battery
  2. Phone is connected to a strong Internet connection
  3. Phone has 112GB of storage available

Please help!

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 1:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 2:25 PM

I experience the same issue. I got a new iPhone 15 pro max and I never able retore the new one from the old iPhone because it stuck at the software update for 17.4.1. I tried to setup the new phone without any restore and still failing to upgrade to 17.4.1. Very frustrating

11 replies

Apr 11, 2024 2:34 PM in response to Bonchonfam

As you apparently didn’t read the thread you posted to, here is my previously posted suggestion:

17.4.1 should be installed using a computer; there were 2 versions of 17.4.1, and the 2nd, that fixed an unpublicized problem, can only be installed using a computer.

Troubleshooting steps:

• Restart your Mac just before starting the update
  • Disable any antivirus, 3rd party firewall, “cleaning” app
  • Delete any VPN profiles or apps on your computer
  • Start the update
  • If it still doesn’t update restart your Mac in Safe Mode→Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Apr 11, 2024 1:17 PM in response to Kfresh15

17.4.1 should be installed using a computer; there were 2 versions of 17.4.1, and the 2nd, that fixed an unpublicized problem, can only be installed using a computer.

Troubleshooting steps:

• Restart your Mac just before starting the update
  • Disable any antivirus, 3rd party firewall, “cleaning” app
  • Delete any VPN profiles or apps on your computer
  • Start the update
  • If it still doesn’t update restart your Mac in Safe Mode→Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support

Apr 11, 2024 1:35 PM in response to Kfresh15

Please update via a pc or Mac instead

Update your iPhone using a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher, you will use the finder in order to upgrade your iPhone. Make sure to Back up your device before starting the upgrade process.

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, you will follow the following steps:

1. Open a finder window
  2. Connect your device to your Mac via a lighting to usb A or a lightning to usb c cable On the iPhone 15 series, use an usb c to usb c cable.
  3. Select your device in the left sidebar of the finder window
  4. click general, then click check for update
  5. Click download and update.
  6. If asked, enter your iPhone passcode

Update your iPhone via a Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a Windows PC

On macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a windows machine, we won't use the Finder to upgrade your iOS

Instead, we will use iTunes. Make sure to Back up your device before doing any update or upgrade to your phone.

1. Open iTunes
  2. connect your device to the computer with an lightning to usb a or a lightning to usb c cable. On the iPhone 15 series, use an usb c to usb c cable.
  3. Click device button in the iTunes toolbar
  4. In the summary tab, click check for update
  5. Click download and update, follow The on screen instructions
  6. If asked, enter your iPhone passcode.

Updating/upgrading your iPhone - Apple Community

Apr 11, 2024 1:47 PM in response to MrFoldy

Update via a pc or Mac instead

Update your iPhone using a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or higher, you will use the finder in order to upgrade your iPhone. Make sure to Back up your device before starting the upgrade process.

On a Mac with macOS Catalina or later, you will follow the following steps:

1. Open a finder window
  2. Connect your device to your Mac via a lighting to usb A or a lightning to usb c cable On the iPhone 15 series, use an usb c to usb c cable.
  3. Select your device in the left sidebar of the finder window
  4. click general, then click check for update
  5. Click download and update.
  6. If asked, enter your iPhone passcode

Update your iPhone via a Mac running macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a Windows PC

On macOS Mojave or earlier, or on a windows machine, we won't use the Finder to upgrade your iOS

Instead, we will use iTunes. Make sure to Back up your device before doing any update or upgrade to your phone.

1. Open iTunes
  2. connect your device to the computer with an lightning to usb a or a lightning to usb c cable. On the iPhone 15 series, use an usb c to usb c cable.
  3. Click device button in the iTunes toolbar
  4. In the summary tab, click check for update
  5. Click download and update, follow The on screen instructions
  6. If asked, enter your iPhone passcode.

Updating/upgrading your iPhone - Apple Community

This should work for you to update to the latest version

New iPhone 15 will not update to 17.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.