Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

iMovie will not import any mp4 or mkv files

iMove on Sonoma on my mac mini with m1 chip does not want to import any files

Sent by you: iMove on Sonoma on my mac mini with m1 chip does not want to import any files

Mac Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 4:57 PM

7 replies

Apr 12, 2024 12:28 AM in response to jserenson

macOS 14 Sonoma QuickTime Player does not play video codecs like H.265 with Codec ID hev1, VP8 and VP9, and audio codecs like Vorbis (Sonoma now supports Opus audio), and wrappers like .avi, .mkv and .webm.

ffmpeg can losslessly and very fast fix that H.265 with Codec ID hev1 issue with:

ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c copy -tag:v hvc1 output.mp4

macOS 10.14 Mojave QuickTime Player does not play H.265 with Chroma subsampling 4:2:2 (Bit depth 10 bits).

IINA and VLC should have no issues with playing any decent new or old codec.

Handbrake, Shutter Encoder, VLC and ffmpeg can be used to convert old codecs to H.264 or H.265 video and AAC audio wrapped as .mp4 (or its very close cousin .m4v or .mov. I have used MacPorts to install ffmpeg but there are also precompiled versions).

You can check all those pesky codec details with apps like MediaInfo or Invisor.

iMovie will not import any mp4 or mkv files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.