Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Searching for System Software 7.1p3 restore image

I know this is probably a VERY long shot as this relates to hardware and software dating back to at least 1992-1993, but I am trying to restore a Performa 475 back to its factory condition, and I am unable to locate any proper images of System Software 7.1p3 - the original OS this Mac ran on. Any help would be greatly appreciated, but I completely understand if nothing can be done.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 11, 2024 8:29 PM

2 replies

Apr 12, 2024 3:19 PM in response to Four_Operator

Hi,

A normal System 7.1 was not released for download from Apple, so one would have to look for an original set of system floppies via something like an online auction site. A standard 7.1 would have required an extra System Enabler 364 for use with a Performa 475.

The Performa 475 may have had its specific 7.1P images only on the hard disk, for the purpose of creating backup floppy disks. The backup may have contained additional software as well (such as Claris Works).

There was a later (general) System 7.5.3 available for download (for example, a US version as 19 floppy-sized parts), though.

Macintosh Performa 475:Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Apr 13, 2024 11:06 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum

Generally speaking, Performa computers were delivered with software already on the hard disk. For a Performa computer that did not have an internal CD-ROM drive, the usual way to protect the system software and applications on the hard disk was to start an Apple Backup program via the Launcher (in connection with first use of the computer). The backup was saved onto a number of high-density floppy disks. If necessary, one could later restore the hard disk content from these floppies via an Apple Restore program on a Utilities floppy.

Searching for System Software 7.1p3 restore image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.