Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

iMovie not compatible with Monterey?

I just upgraded my 2015 iMac to OSX Monterey. This is the highes version of OSX my iMac can install. But now my favourite piece of software, iMovie, is n longer compatible. It tells me to install the newest version of iMovie from the App Store. But this version requires OSX 13.5. Which will not work on my iMac.

I tried to download an older version of iMovie, but it was no good. How do I get iMovie back to my iMac?

Why do I feel like I have been punished for upgrading my software?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 6:50 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 13, 2024 2:09 PM in response to EpleFreddy

The following link talks about GarageBand but the same would apply to iMovie.

Read the last paragraph from léonie

"If you never owned a GarageBand version from the AppStore and it is not associated with your AppleID, borrow a newer Mac from a friend or family member, where they can create a user account for you. There sign into the AppStore with your AppleID and purchase GarageBand for free. Then go back to your own Mac, restart the App Store, sign in with the same Apple ID at the AppStore, then check your purchases. Can you now see GarageBand in your Purchases and download it?"

i have an old version of mac on an old la… - Apple Community

The "newer Mac from a friend or family member "would have to have OS 13.5 or later.

Apr 13, 2024 9:57 AM in response to EpleFreddy

Drag your iMovie application to the trash ,but do not empty the trash just yet.

Open the App Store Application and click on your name at the bottom left hand corner.

This should open up to your Purchased Page where you should see iMovie listed amongst others.

Against this iMovie listing you should see a download symbol, click on this.

You will get a pop up to say that the latest version of iMovie is not available for your OS but will offer you the latest version of iMovie that is compatible with your Monterey.

If successful you can now empty the trash and try the same procedure with any other non working apps.

Apr 14, 2024 9:15 AM in response to thesurreyfriends

I ended up with a different solution. I used something called Open Core Patcher to modify OS Ventura to work on my 2015 MBA. From there I was able to download the latest version of iMovie. And thus be able to find the compatible version for Monterey.

Not an Apple sanctioned solution, but Apple’s solution was non-existant, so I did what I had to do. And it worked.

iMovie not compatible with Monterey?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.