Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

keyboard numbers not working on macbook pro 16" 2019

Since the first year of owning this machine the numbers 1-0 (1234567890) have not worked. After complaining about it multiple times and getting nowhere I gave up and have been using an external keyboard through usb c. Which has been the biggest pain in the "you know what". Back then we were all dealing with bigger issues of covid-19. After a few years of the issue persisting I began to research the issue. It is apparent that the issue with my device is a hardware failure that has happened to many of their machines. I have resent the NVRAM/PRAM and the SMC multiple times. I have gone through recommended setting switching at least a dozen times. When looking at the onscreen keyboard and hitting a number key on the physical keyboard the onscreen number does not light up or highlight proving that it is indeed the hardware. One time I let apply support make an appointment with a local [hour and a half drive one way] apple certified repair place. When I made the appointment I was instructed to wipe the machine the night before bringing it in. With in being there for only a few minutes I was informed that it was a hardware issue that my specific machine did not qualify for because it was only one model later. Wiping the machine and taking the time to go to this far away place to only be told with in minutes something that the support person could have told me frustrated me and made me so angry that I didn't even touch the machine for weeks. They think that they resolved the hardware issue by installing a completely different type of keyboard in all newer models. I don't understand how they think that the issue is resolved if my Macbook has the exact same issue those other Macbook's have. I understand that it is supposedly a different keyboard but yet it has failed to work in the exact same way. As of today, after talking to apple support [and being disconnected once, and then after trying again they connected me with a "senior" support person/advisor] I was informed that my model is not in the program and thus there is no help for my machine; something that I have been told before. Unless of course I want to pay out of pocket for a product that failed due to their continual failure to produce a machine that works the way it is supposed to. If there was water damage or a dropping incident then I would understand that the failure was my fault alone. But how can a select few keys specific to one purpose fail and it be my fault with no damage? I am at wits end with this issue. Before this issue I have Loved apple for their products and their business ethics. Now I intend to tell everyone who will listen that apple makes faulty products and refuse to fix them. I have bought over twenty apple product since falling in love with the iPhone four model. From now on I will never buy another apple product. This is seriously unacceptable. If they had made an effort to at least examine the machine to see for them selves that it is indeed a hardware failure and not a damage issue then I would be a little less upset. But they don't want to take any ownership of the issue which is a failure of theirs. My proof in making such a statement is that they have a specific program for replacing faulty keyboard hardware in sixteen other models spanning the time of five or six years. But just one model later they think that the issue is magically fixed despite the actual failing of the same issue in a different type of keyboard. It is not ok for a business to make a laptop that has hardware that fails to work with in the first year with no damage and claim its not their fault. Especially a product as expensive as a macbook. I thought apple was the one company I could trust to make a quality product that they were happy to stand behind its superior functioning. Now I know that they're just like all of the other companies and will brush their customers off just because theres not enough customers complaining. Shame on you Apple.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 13, 2024 2:04 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 13, 2024 2:13 PM in response to ErikaHaley

ErikaHaley wrote:

Since the first year of owning this machine the numbers 1-0 (1234567890) have not worked. After complaining about it multiple times and getting nowhere I gave up and have been using an external keyboard through usb c.

Verify Full Keyboard access did not get turned on.

>System Settings>Accessibility >Keyboard>Full Keyboard Access>OFF

ref:Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

Navigate your Mac using Full Keyboard Access - Apple Support

otherwise you can submit your Apple Feedback here: Product Feedback - Apple

Apr 14, 2024 11:48 AM in response to ErikaHaley

How is your battery holding up? Does it need replacement yet?

The reason I ask is that the module replaced when you pay to replace the battery is the

battery/top-plate/trackpad/keyboard module, complete. When you replace the battery, at a cost of about US$250, you will get a different, guaranteed-working keyboard in the process.

Since you are already mad at Apple, I thought you might enjoy getting them to repair it 'by accident'.

keyboard numbers not working on macbook pro 16" 2019

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.