How do I convert old iMovie projects to the new version of iMovie on my Mac Studio using macOS Sonoma?

from back when iMovie first appeared, I made these projects, some resulting in finished (small) movies.

I have tons of dv, iMovie-projects etc, collected over the years.

My interest in using iMovie is not lost, but I have been lacking the time …

recently I 'rediscovered' my projects and found to my horror that I cannot access any of the projects through iMovie.

it appears to be that this is a known fact.

I run Sonoma these days.

This is a problem!

I was thinking of setting up an (ancient) Mac with alle the necessary (ancient) software, and somehow find a way to transition my projects to the newest format.

this sounds tedious and UN-Apple-like.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio

Posted on Apr 14, 2024 8:11 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 14, 2024 8:16 PM in response to Jo!

You can't convert iMovie projects created prior to iMovie 7 into the current iMovie 10. Nor can you play the old projects unless you have an older Mac with the older iMovie app that can open and play the projects. Finished exported movies created in the old iMovie version can be played on a newer Mac, or imported into an iMovie 10 project as one large clip, and edited there to a limed extent.

You didn't mention which specific iMovie version that you used to create the old projects. However, you might try the following procedure, that worked with iMovie 5 and 6, and see if it works for your versions. Open the package contents of the old iMovie project by control clicking on its icon and selecting Show Package Contents from the pop up menu. In the package contents you will see a folder entitled Shared Movies. Click on Shared Movies and then click on the sub-folder titled iDVD. In the iDVD folder you will see a .mov file that constitutes the project. You won't be able to play it. To play it, Control-click on the .mov file icon and and from the pop-up menu select Encode Selected Video Files. Encode the file. You will thus create a separate m4v movie and will see its icon appear in the iDVD folder along with the original movie. Drag the newly encoded m4v file to your desktop and open and play it with Quicktime Player. The movie will play the entire iMovie project. You can drag the movie into a current iMovie 10 project and play and edit it there (to some extent).

Refer to the following screen shots as you follow the above instructions:

-- Rich

Apr 15, 2024 6:52 AM in response to Rich839

Rich839 wrote:

You can't convert iMovie projects created prior to iMovie 7 into the current iMovie 10. Nor can you play the old projects unless you have an older Mac with the older iMovie app that can open and play the projects. Finished exported movies created in the old iMovie version can be played on a newer Mac, or imported into an iMovie 10 project as one large clip, and edited there to a limed extent.

You didn't mention which specific iMovie version that you used to create the old projects. However, you might try the following procedure, that worked with iMovie 5 and 6, and see if it works for your versions. Open the package contents of the old iMovie project by control clicking on its icon and selecting Show Package Contents from the pop up menu. In the package contents you will see a folder entitled Shared Movies. Click on Shared Movies and then click on the sub-folder titled iDVD. In the iDVD folder you will see a .mov file that constitutes the project. You won't be able to play it. To play it, Control-click on the .mov file icon and and from the pop-up menu select Encode Selected Video Files. Encode the file. You will thus create a separate m4v movie and will see its icon appear in the iDVD folder along with the original movie. Drag the newly encoded m4v file to your desktop and open and play it with Quicktime Player. The movie will play the entire iMovie project. You can drag the movie into a current iMovie 10 project and play and edit it there (to some extent).

-- Rich

thank you.

yes I figured out that it is not possible directly

I started way back with the first editions of iMovie. I do not have the software anymore, the oldest (not working under Sonoma) that I have is version 7.

I will try first your suggestion with the packages, it seems to mee that I do nog need to edit the projects, just need the material.

I'll get back here …

How do I convert old iMovie projects to the new version of iMovie on my Mac Studio using macOS Sonoma?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.