Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

MS Word in Dock of my iMac opening new files in US letter format.

This could be a Microsoft problem but also Mac one too.

Recently I have been trying to sort out some printing problems with an Imac running High Sierra - a project in progress.

What I have discovered by accident is weird Dock performance. (Probably going on for years as I don’t use this Imac)

If I open MS Word in Applications it opens with a blank A4 document.

If I make an alias and put on the desktop when opening it again creates a blank A4 document

The Word application is in Dock.

When I select Word from the dock icon it opens with a blank document in US Letter, I want A4.

I have delete the dock icon and dragged Word application to dock to recreate it.

I have spent hours trying to find out why and hence a solution. Tried amongst other things deleting dock plist type files, trying to create/modify templates. Deleted templates eg Normal.dotm in many places. Booted in Safe Boot……...

I have reinstalled the last Security Update as that sometimes works.

I have searched the net extensively.

Has anyone come across such behaviour or suggest what I need to do which I might not have already tried. (Reinstalling MSOffice or MacOs are not options).

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 2:07 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 15, 2024 10:44 AM in response to Need_help_give_help

That is really weird.

The first thing I thought was maybe you had a different version somehow, but as you say you dragged Word from the Applications folder to the Dock, I can't fathom how launching the application in one way vs the other would have a different outcome.

If you launch Word using Spotlight: command-space, start typing Word, press enter; which of the two behaviors do you get? Same as from the Dock, or from Applications?

Apr 18, 2024 2:40 AM in response to BDAqua

Thanks again BDAqua and shall regretably decline your suggestion for the time being as I don't like downloading such software - perhaps through ignornace. I realise I shall suffer the consequence of not doing so

I have though deleted manually HD/Library/Caches and user/library/caches in the hope that will go somewhere near what onyx might do. No change after rebooting of course.

I have previously run in Safe Boot which I thought cleared out 'nasties'

MS Word in Dock of my iMac opening new files in US letter format.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.