Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac Pro Finder is not working properly anymore

Normally I have no complaints about Finder but lately I found it is not working as usual.

First: the quick look function fails. Selecting a file and then hitting Spacebar doesn't give you a view what's inside that file. Doesn't work (anymore) with pdf, jpg, txt or any other file extension.

Second: copy (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) doesn't work anymore which is very anoying when you have to rename several files.

CTRL-C/Ctrl-V still works within Pages, Numbers, but not between different programs. So I think something with Clipboard is wrong as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 4:39 AM

Similar questions

8 replies

Apr 15, 2024 7:32 PM in response to hanyvo

hanyvo Said:

"Mac Pro Finder is not working properly anymore: [...]Second: copy (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) doesn't work anymore which is very anoying when you have to rename several files.[...]"

-------

Getting Shortcuts to Work:

Reinstall the macOS:

If items are not working as they should, then you need to resin tall the macOS. Nothing will be deleted; it's just that damaged and corrupt system files will be replaced. Go Here: How to Reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to all of this. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more.

Apr 15, 2024 7:22 PM in response to hanyvo

hanyvo wrote:

Normally I have no complaints about Finder but lately I found it is not working as usual.
First: the quick look function fails. Selecting a file and then hitting Spacebar doesn't give you a view what's inside that file. Doesn't work (anymore) with pdf, jpg, txt or any other file extension.

Startup in Safe Mode followed by a normal restart and test quick look.

see > Use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Second: copy (Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) doesn't work anymore which is very anoying when you have to rename several files.

Double check your keyboard shortcuts as suggested by Grant.

see > Mac keyboard shortcuts - Apple Support

Apr 16, 2024 1:06 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for your reaction Grant. I left all the keyboard shortcuts as is, so nothing was deliberately changed by me. Also: I can't remember to ever have the need to enter the tabs in the System Preferences keyboard section, other than the "key repeat" and "delay until repeat" controls.

I think it is easier to reinstall MacOs and yes: I just created a fresh backup so I think I am prepared. But ... As always: Murphy is not far away.

Has any of you some experience with a reinstall of macOs.? I mean: is it fail safe, and what if the reinstall -for whatever reason- doesn't do its job? Will the "old" macOs version still work or will I be left with a "dead" system? Questions....

Anyway. Thanks in advance

Hans

Apr 17, 2024 6:08 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks again to all of you.

The answer of TheLittles set me on the right track: re-install Mac OS. I had to think about it more than twice but had no other option. So I downloaded the OS from the Appstore (which took a while), the installer opens automatically and installs the new or necessary files. This took more than 35minutes but after that everything is as smooth and fine as ever before, as if nothing happened.

So: problem solved.

Thanks guys!

Apr 17, 2024 5:25 PM in response to hanyvo

hanyvo Said:

"Mac Pro Finder is not working properly anymore: Thanks again to all of you.: The answer of TheLittles set me on the right track: re-install Mac OS. I had to think about it more than twice but had no other option. So I downloaded the OS from the Appstore (which took a while), the installer opens automatically and installs the new or necessary files. This took more than 35minutes but after that everything is as smooth and fine as ever before, as if nothing happened. So: problem solved. Thanks guys!"

-------

You are welcome! Excellent job troubleshooting!

Mac Pro Finder is not working properly anymore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.