Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Restoring child's iPad from icloud backup

My child was playing a game on the ipad when the app crashed. Most of the data and settings got corrupted so I am trying to restore the ipad back to the backup state from the day before the crash. I have erased everything and opted to restore from backup but it appears to go into an endless spin and it does not show me any progress status. When I start the clean ipad set up, I opt for the option to set it up as a device for my child so I need to enter both mine and the child's Apple ID.

The backup size on icloud is less than 8GB. I have now started the restore from the beginning again, having waited over 45 hours in the last attempt. Is this normal?

Posted on Apr 15, 2024 6:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2024 1:57 AM

In the end, instead of selecting the option to set up for a child, I selected the option to set up for myself and then put in my child's Apple ID and the restore completed successfully in literally minutes.

3 replies

Apr 15, 2024 11:48 AM in response to JRA_Koduck

JRA_Koduck wrote:

My child was playing a game on the ipad when the app crashed. Most of the data and settings got corrupted so I am trying to restore the ipad back to the backup state from the day before the crash. I have erased everything and opted to restore from backup but it appears to go into an endless spin and it does not show me any progress status. When I start the clean ipad set up, I opt for the option to set it up as a device for my child so I need to enter both mine and the child's Apple ID.

The backup size on icloud is less than 8GB. I have now started the restore from the beginning again, having waited over 45 hours in the last attempt. Is this normal?

Suggest plugging ipad into a power source so it stays connected to wifi and let it finish the restore.

Restoring child's iPad from icloud backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.