Windows to MAC (Back and Forth Storage)

Hello, I'm looking for external SSD drives for transferring files between my new 2023 M3 Max Pro Macbook and the my Windows 10 Desktop. I don't know if a SSD drive is right for this or not, but I want to transfer files back and forth between the two, where read/write speeds for files from the drive to the computer are lightning fast. Looking for 1TB drives. I want to keep this drive for exchanging files between the two but also serve as backup.

Also looking for the USB to lighting adapter as well. I want some reliable/well known and efficient, and am willing to spend the money for the best drive on the market. Originally looking at the "WD_BLACK P40 Game Drive SSD".

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 10:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 12:23 AM

ssd is fine for that

make sure you get the fasts interface the two support could be usb3 or usb4 depending on the desktop, not sure how many windows desktop as thunderbolt though which would be the fasts way possible

just format the ssd to exFAT which both macos and windows can write to

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 17, 2024 6:54 PM in response to music_fanatic10

music_fanatic10 wrote:

Hello, I'm looking for external SSD drives for transferring files between my new 2023 M3 Max Pro Macbook and the my Windows 10 Desktop. I don't know if a SSD drive is right for this or not, but I want to transfer files back and forth between the two, where read/write speeds for files from the drive to the computer are lightning fast. Looking for 1TB drives. I want to keep this drive for exchanging files between the two but also serve as backup.

Also looking for the USB to lighting adapter as well. I want some reliable/well known and efficient, and am willing to spend the money for the best drive on the market. Originally looking at the "WD_BLACK P40 Game Drive SSD".

I've used the SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD for years for this very purpose, no issues. I did read there was an issue with some of these drives erasing themselves about half a year ago, but mine was fine (they've since fixed the problem).

Like Rudegar said, just make sure it's formatted as exFAT - Format a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Windows to MAC (Back and Forth Storage)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.