Live Captions on MacBook Pro Sonoma not working

I have the live captions enabled and the first time I used it during a Teams call, it was working ok. But then other times, I would get a gray box and I had to actually resize & hold the box to see the captions or otherwise, it would go back to grey.

I've tried with other apps like Youtube or any other video on Safari - same issue.

Is there a fix for this?

I have MacBook Pro M3 Pro 14-inch Nov 2023 model running Sonoma 14.4.1.

MacBook Pro (M3 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 3:10 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 17, 2024 8:52 PM in response to -cHrIsTiNa-

Hi Live Captions on MacBook Pro Sonoma not working : Is there a fix for this?

Wondering whether you are using Live Captions as is, or with Accessibility settings:

Possibly a change of settings, (eg: to customize the appearance of LIve Captions) may solve the situation.

Apple Support has detailed articles available (links below) for using Live Captions in MacOS Sonoma.

Note: Live Captions is currently in beta. Live Captions is available only on Mac computers with Apple silicon, and is not available in all languages, countries or regions. The accuracy of Live Captions may vary and should not be relied upon in high-risk or emergency situations.

See more info: Scroll down in the linked article below to: "Customise the appearance of captions"

Use Live Captions on Mac - Apple Support

OR

If you are using (or want to use) Accessibility settings:

The article below lists all the accessibility settings that you can use, or change:

Change Live Captions settings for accessibility on Mac - Apple Support

Hope something here works to solve your situation :-)

Apr 25, 2024 2:25 PM in response to -cHrIsTiNa-

Thank you kindly for you reply, -cHrIsTiNa- , and for letting us know what you've tried.

You might want to send feedback to reach those who work behind-the-scenes at Apple.

Athough it will not solve the situation immediately, and they likely will not reply, your feedback will reach those who can make changes. If others are also experiencing issues, we may see changes in a future update.

Web-form for feedback: Feedback - MacBook Pro - Apple

Apr 25, 2024 7:22 AM in response to brbo

Hi, this doesn't really help me.

I am using the live captions as is provided by Apple - I've also tried changed the font/background color as well as the size without any luck.

it seems to be a bug and the only way to see the captions is to drag lock the captions screen so to be able to read the captions during a call which is not convenient - especially if I'm screen sharing.

Apr 26, 2024 6:31 AM in response to brbo

I’ve already submitted feedback the same time I wrote the question here.

I know that feedback won’t be resolved quickly but wanted to see if anyone else here managed to find a fix or a workaround for this issue.

Also, when I’m playing a recorded teams meeting call, the live captions is perfectly fine. It’s just when I’m in an active teams call that the grey box appears and I have to drag lock the box to see the captions.

Live Captions on MacBook Pro Sonoma not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.