Cannot connect online after turning off VPN. Proxy server refusing connections

I used AceVPN for like twenty minutes to bypass Spotify. And now I can’t connect to the internet without the VPN on.

I can’t connect online in a regular or private mode. Firefox says “The proxy server is refusing connections” and Chrome says “No internet. There is something wrong with the proxy server, or the address is incorrect.”

If I log onto my other username on my Mac, I can connect fine. I’m assuming I’m blocked because I changed my location so many times within a short period and I didn’t use it in a private browser.

I’m using macOS Catalina. How do I reset my proxy or networks settings? Please help if you know what I should do to be reconnected.

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 4:24 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Apr 28, 2024 5:51 PM in response to nhw007

Hope you were able to fix this. Same thing happened to me after uninstalling AceVPN on a Macbook Air with macOS Monterey. I was not able to find a solution specific to AceVPN, but used the manual uninstall instructions for hide.me, a different VPN app, and was able to restore the internet connection.

In case the link I pasted below is redacted, try googling "how to restore internet connectivity on mac hide.me"

https://hide.me/en/knowledgebase/how-to-restore-internet-connectivity-on-macos/

When I ran the second command through the terminal app, I got a bunch of error messages (because the command refers specifically to hide.me, an app I never installed) Regardless, one of the steps seems to have cleared out the problematic settings.

It would be great if there were a warning for apps that don't uninstall cleanly

Cannot connect online after turning off VPN. Proxy server refusing connections

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.