Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How to fix cursor visibility and startup issue on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi, anybody else experienced starting up issue after installing the latest macOS Sonoma 14.4.1?

The screen remains dark with the cursor visible until it suddenly lights up after more than 3 min randomly pressing many keys... or it started up by itself. I have no idea.

Please advise what to do.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 16, 2024 9:31 PM

6 replies

Apr 16, 2024 9:44 PM in response to 5Cats-Impian

5Cats-Impian Said:

"Start up issue: Hi, anybody else experienced starting up issue after installing the latest macOS Sonoma 14.4.1?

The screen remains dark with the cursor visible until it suddenly lights up after more than 3 min randomly pressing many keys... or it started up by itself. I have no idea. Please advise what to do."

-------

Using an external monitor...

Reinstall the macOS:

Nothing would be deleted. It's just that items that have become corrupted or deleted, would be replaced or reinstalled back to where they should be. Go Here: How to reinstall macOS from macOS Recovery - Apple SupportImportant: Be certain to create a backup of your Mac prior to performing the reinstall. That way, you can have something to restore from the Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reinstall. Once reinstalled, try this once more, seeing if you still get this error.

Apr 20, 2024 9:24 PM in response to 5Cats-Impian

5Cats-Impian Said:

"Start up issue: Update: Startup yesterday (20Apr24) took 24s Startup today (21Apr24) took 21s So all's good No idea what happened. I didn't do anything."

-------

Thank you for the update.

The caches probably coincided, allowing things to boot faster. So, what happens when you boot in Safe Mode? Are you able to log in with that? Go here: Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support. And are you able to log in normally? If "Yes" to both, then I'd say you are set form here.

Excellent job troubleshooting!

Apr 19, 2024 3:28 AM in response to TheLittles

Here is what happened.

No issue with reinstallation of Sonoma 14.4.1 on my M1 2020 MacBook Air. An external monitor was assigned as the main display. However the external monitor received "No Signal" during re-installation process and the in-built display was working well. The re-installation took about 1h.

The immediate trial to start-up after shutdown using in-built display was a success.

However the next day brought sad news.

a) Start up using in-built display took 4'6" to get to the login page. I did not touch any keys. The colourful globe was rotating until the screen lights up. Re-start was fast.

b) Start up using external monitor as main display took 3'33"

c) Start up using in-built display took 3'39"

So good news is, it starts up

Bad news is, it takes a long time to start up

Is there a bug in Sonoma 14.4.1?

What next?

How to fix cursor visibility and startup issue on macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.