Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Mac Pro ( 1,1 2006 ) does not respond to power button after rearranging RAM

Hello, recently I've bought an offhand Mac Pro 1,1 and installed Mac OS X 10.4.7 . Throughout the past few days there have been issues such as it restarting randomly RAM go from 2 GB to 12 GB even though there is supposed to be 16, hard drive not being detected, worst case situation it crashes with the panic log " Uncorrectable FBD memory error " ( See attached photo )

sorry that its sideways, i cant fix it.

After discovering this was from my RAM misbehaving. I opened it up, removed the sliders and rearranged the sticks in both risers in an attempt to fix it. ( See photo )After following the printed instructions that are on the cover it did not turn on whatsoever. I peered around the entire case to see any irregularities but nothing was out of the ordinary besides a bit of dust, i rearranged the ram sticks again and still nothing!

Thats when i tried everything, different power cable, unplugged all cables besides power, different port, even swapping around the risers.

My suspicion is that when i put the case on its side something may have became dislodged or broken within the machine ( Or, its just the RAM sliders are messed up )

Is this just me being stupid as to buying an offhand Mac? Or, just not careful enough.

Appreciate all the help you can givd.

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 4:20 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 20, 2024 7:09 AM in response to ldxlu

<<. I think the Mac has more issues than the ram itself. >>.

I agree. This series of Macs use Error-Correcting-Code RAM. RAM found to be bad will be set aside and not used. That is why you see fluctuating amounts of RAM installed.

But it WILL turn on the fans and blink the power-indicator light with NO RAM at all, if everything else tis OK.

Apr 17, 2024 6:19 AM in response to ldxlu

On these Macs, when you see no fans and no lights after interrupting AC power, suspect the 3.00 Volt non-recharging long-life Lithium coin cell parameter RAM backup battery half-hidden behind the graphics card.

Use a bright light and be certain you understand how the battery clip works, because breaking it WILL ruin your afternoon.

Your approach to debugging THIS RAM has some problems, but that does not preclude powering up UNLESS: you see a blinking power indicator light.

Apr 19, 2024 7:47 AM in response to ldxlu

The "approved method" for further debugging to to remove EVERYTHING that is in a slot -- all graphics cards, all other PCIE cards, all drives, all DVD readers. I suggest you remove all RAM as well. You are going for the CHIME, or the blinking power indicator light.

With no RAM at all you would expect the blinking power indicator light, telling you "no RAM installed". There is a slightly different pattern for "not enough WORKING RAM to start up".

if no response at all you may need the Service Guide to decode at the status LEDs on the mainboard, with and without pressing the power button.

If you get signs of life, add back ONE item at a time and test again. Repeat the process until you get it working or find a "killer" component.

Mac Pro ( 1,1 2006 ) does not respond to power button after rearranging RAM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.