How to correct facial blemishes.

I have a video of a singer at a gig. The singer had just had a breakout of blemishes on her face. I moved the video into Photoshop and after going frame by frame using Healing Brush through about 2500 frames the results are not what I was hoping for. The singer was moving and turning so all frames that were corrected looks like here face is completely off in the video. Almost a flickering light effect. Is there a better way to make the corrected frames look normal?

iMac Pro, macOS 14.3

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 8:36 AM

6 replies

Apr 26, 2024 2:26 PM in response to John Deer

You might be able to pull it off with the right "gear".

Here's an example:

I used a Gaussian effect with a Effects Mask > Color Mask to select the darker regions of the skin where the blemishes are and set the amount to about 8-10. Then I applied a specialty effect (basically a fill color designed for "keying") with another Effects Mask > Color Mask to select the areas the gaussian filter "smoothed". I selected a region of the unblemished skin and applied the color fill at about 30% opacity and with a blend mode of Lighten.

It's not perfect, but it does a pretty good job. This technique does not require frame to frame treatment and it doesn't require tracking masks unless you need to track shape masks to preserve lip color and nose shadow detail.

I'll help you out with the fill color effect (free) if you're interested in trying this...

Apr 27, 2024 2:10 AM in response to John Deer

Is there a better way to make the corrected frames look normal?

I always manually correct the face and skin color using only FCP. Learn the features of tracking and color correction, and if you have the patience, you can do it for free.

1. Add a color wheel to a clip on the timeline. →Global:Brightness:+0.01, Shadow:Color:R:4/G:2/B:0 →Add a shape mask to the color wheel.

Adjust the blur range of the shape mask displayed in the viewer. →Change the white selected Shape Mask to Tracker. →In order to track facial movements, place the tracker along the contour of your face and cover it up to your neck. See diagram.

2. Analysis. →Create tracking data. →Change the tracker name to “FaceTracker”. →Please do not rely solely on automatic analysis, but manually make as many detailed corrections as possible.

Removing unnecessary keyframes and adjusting the size and shape of the tracker will result in smoother movement.

Apply “FaceTracker” data to the shape mask you added earlier.

3. Add a color mask to the color wheel. →Extract the skin color of the face using the eyedropper tool.

4. Add the Gaussian effect and adjust the parameters. →Add a shape mask to Gauss and apply “FaceTracker”.

Add a second shape mask. →Name it “EyesMask” and apply subtraction. →Apply “FaceTracker” to “EyesMask”.

5. “EyesMask” covers only the eyebrows and eyes by adjusting the shape and position using keyframes in the inspector.

The singer's eyebrows and eyelashes have a small amount of hair and are thin, so it is better not to blur them with a Gaussian. The purpose of "EyesMask" subtraction is not to apply Gaussian.

6. Add hue/saturation curve. →Lowers the luminance vs. saturation dark curve to achieve pure black.

Apr 27, 2024 5:14 AM in response to John Deer

This is the library that I actually edited.

I use four types: tracker, color correction, Gauss, and hue/saturation curve. The correction is done sparingly so as not to make the skin look unnatural. I think it would be interesting to try changing the Gauss and color wheel values ​​to your liking.

The second half of the timeline is for comparison between the original and the corrected version.

*Since there is a bug where the mask processing is reversed when exporting to XML, I would like to share the library (FCP version 10.6.10). Please forgive me if I can't open it if it's an older version.🙏

[Edited by Moderator]

How to correct facial blemishes.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.