Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

How do I back up my iMac 21.5' late 2015?

I need to backup my computer (or maybe discover an already completed back up). My husband died I have a computer locked on his Apple ID because… this thing is hooked up to it. I’ve searched all over, but I can’t find a manual for this device. Might it be capable of making DVDs to back up the computer? The iMac is a Retina 4K, 21.5” late 2015. I also need to do the same for a 2022 laptop without a functioning Apple ID.

I don’t see a manual for this device anywhere thank you if you can help

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 10:37 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Apr 17, 2024 11:34 AM in response to Grandmasatx

Sorry for your loss ...

... Macs are typically backed up with an app called Time Machine (TM). These backups would be sent to either an external drive or an Apple Time Capsule. If he had been using TM, these would be the first place to look for backups if his computer is not currently accessible.

Apple can assist you with gaining access to his Apple ID. The following support article provides the steps required:

This would give you access to his iCloud account, and any data he stored there. However, it would not allow access to his computer.

Apr 17, 2024 11:29 AM in response to Grandmasatx

Apple does not make device specific manuals. Only Operating System manuals which cover all devices that Os can be installed on.

click here ➜ macOS User Guide - Apple Support

Sorry for your loss.

To backup you can use Time Machine with an external drive. If the computer has an external drive connected to nearby it may have a backup, but the only way to know is to connect it the computer and see what's on it.

click here ➜ Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support

If you need to get access to your husband's Apple ID see the following support document.

click here ➜ How to request access to a deceased family member's Apple account - Apple Support

How do I back up my iMac 21.5' late 2015?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.