Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Namespace PAC_EXCEPTION, Code 261

Mail is crashing with the above Termination reason. Any clues on how to resolve? Thanks.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 11:55 AM

10 replies

Apr 25, 2024 9:32 AM in response to Headwaters

RE: BitDefender:

The idea that a third party, with no special knowledge of the inner workings of MacOS, can somehow find a simple way to protect your computer — that is not already being done by MacOS itself — suggests that the MacOS developers are somehow "holding out on you". That is absurd.

You should remove any and all (other than Apple built-in) virus scanners, speeder uppers, optimizers, cleaners, App deleters or VPN packages you installed yourself, or anything of that ilk.

Third-party file Sync-ers such as DropBox, BackBlaze, OneDrive, or GoogleDrive can ruin performance, but are not inherently dangerous.

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-8841

Apr 25, 2024 9:33 AM in response to Headwaters

MacOS shares a lot of the lock-down mechanisms developed for the iPhone. Applications are all sand-boxed with a list of the resources they require, and they cannot ask for anything outside their sandbox without crashing. Signed Applications are checked that they are from legitimate Developers, and Notarized Applications are delivered with the assurance that they have NOT been modified since their release by the Developer.

Recent versions of MacOS completely changed how you should think about malware.

From MacOS 10.15 Catalina onward, the system is on a Separate, crypto-locked System Volume, which is not writeable using ordinary means. Any unauthorized differences that appear to the crypto-locked volume are quickly detected and you are alerted.

So you could store just about every malware known to mankind on your Mac, and your Mac would not get infected spontaneously. Scanning for virus-like patterns might make you feel a little better now, but it is outdated nonsense.

Nothing can become Executable Unless/Until you supply your Admin password to "make it so".

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina or later - Apple Support

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina or later - Apple Support

What is a signed system volume? - Apple Support

What is a signed system volume? - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

Apr 25, 2024 7:59 AM in response to RPAEA

By far the easiest way to cause poor performance, instability, overheating and crashing is to install ANY third-party speeder-uppers, Cleaners, Optimizers, or Virus scanners, or a VPN that you installed yourself. The main reason is that they are relentless in scanning your files, non-stop, looking for virus-like patterns in Everything. When completed, they do it all again.

¿Are you running any of those?

Apr 25, 2024 8:24 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your feedback. I am running BitDefender AntiVirus and I use BackBlaze backup service. I just saw there in an updated BitDefender version. I will install that and see if it helps. Note: I did use CleanMyMac some months ago, but I deleted it after concerns it deleted too much. I reinstalled the Mac OS afterwards to replace anything erroneously deleted.

Namespace PAC_EXCEPTION, Code 261

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.