Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Related Article: Apple security releases

I am unable to update my iPad due to storage issue

How much free space do you need? I have 9 GB free and it is still asking for more.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 12:13 PM

3 replies

Apr 18, 2024 9:56 AM in response to WillSWalk

It is generally recommended that you maintain 4-6GB of free space at all times - as your iPad needs some temporary space to complete some tasks - such as performing system software updates.

A system software update requires sufficient space to be downloaded, unpacked and verified prior to installation - major version updates (such as updating from iPadOS 16.x to iPadOS 17) requiring considerably more space than an incremental point-update. After the update is successfully completed, temporary files are automatically deleted - returning free space.

Using a computer to perform the update can help where you have insufficient space to perform the update from iPad settings. When using a computer, the update package is download, unpacked and verified by the host computer - before installing the update on the target device. Using the computer significantly reduces the required free space on the target device.

If your internal storage is full, or is insufficient for the task that you need to perform, your only option is to better manage the storage that you have - and delete unused Apps or unneeded data. 

These support pages should prove to be helpful:

About storage on your device and in iCloud – Apple Support

What's the difference between device storage and iCloud storage? – Apple Support

Manage your iCloud storage – Apple Support

How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad and iPod touch – Apple Support

Clear Other storage on your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

“Offloading” Apps can be a helpful method of creating temporary space for a software update.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/01/21/how-to-offload-apps-in-ios-to-save-space-without-deleting-their-data/

Additional information about creating sufficient space for installation of a software update can be found here:

If you need more space for an update on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

External storage options can often help with managing limited internal storage. Depending upon your iPad model, the iPad will either have a Lightning or USB-C port - and may therefore require either an Adapter or USB hub to connect the USB Storage device. If your iPad has a Lightning port, you’ll need an Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter:

• Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MK0W2ZM/A

I am unable to update my iPad due to storage issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.