AirTag collar on cat going off randomly

Hi, my husband bought an AirTag collar for our cat and it’s connected to my phone.

I hear it going off fairly often and I will be in the same room with my iphone connected to wifi not making it go off.

Is someone else tracking my AirTag and cat? I’m not privy to this system yet.

This just seems super strange and not as useful as I had hoped, as it goes off in the AM in the afternoon at times and late at night at times.

Is there a feature I can turn off to not allow others to track the cat? It’s kind of creepy.

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 12:34 PM

1 reply

Apr 17, 2024 9:13 PM in response to leighann288

The following articles describe the various sounds that an AirTag can make.

An Apple AirTag is not designed for tracking, whether that is for pets or people. Instead they are primarily designed to help you locate a missing item ... like your car keys.

As you will see with these articles, AirTags can make a number of sounds. When they happen randomly, they can quite annoying to a pet ... and no, there isn't a way to disable the sounds.

The AirTags work by sending a Bluetooth signal, with its ID information, to any iPhone within Bluetooth range of it (approx. 30-40'). In turn, that phone would relay the tag's ID, along with the phone's GPS location to the Apple servers over an Internet connection. This is Apple describes as their "Find My Network." There are literally millions of iPhones that participate in this network ... and how you would see location updates with the Find My app on your phone.

If your goal is to keep track of your cat, you should consider a device that relies on GPS, not Bluetooth, for this purpose ... and there are a number of manufacturers that specialize in these.

AirTag collar on cat going off randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.