Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Apple Card - Post Bankruptcy (Chapter 7)

I was Chapter 7 discharged from a few debts in 2022, including my Apple Card with a $1800~ balance. It's been almost 2 years since the discharge, and I have been on phone support with Apple Card many, many, many times since. I got so many run around answers and no call backs. Until I called today.

That said, a Bankruptcy Supervisor on their team finally gave some answers.

1. Your balance, post BK, will still show on their end. They simply cannot legally collect on the debt since it was discharged. This makes 0 sense to me, since by definition, a discharge means the debt is absolved and should no longer have a customer facing record. Goldman Sachs appears to keep your balance as active, and any attempts at applying in the future (even if you change your AppleID), they will tell you an account already exists (your BK'd account). I assume this is because they legally cannot move to collect on the debt, but put pressure on anyone who wishes to have that card again by voluntarily paying their discharged debt.
  2. Your only options, if you want to apply again and possibly get approved, is to pay off your legally discharged debt, to have your account show as 'Closed/Paid', on their end. I still have access to my Apple Card that was discharged to see the balance I owe, which still, makes 0 sense to me. Other debtors I had since the BK have allowed me to apply, and sometimes approved. None of them have customer facing records (where I could still log into old accounts and see the debt).
  3. Goldman Sachs will show your legally discharged Chapter 7 debt as still owing a balance, thus any new applications with any Apple ID you have in the future will state that 'An account may already exist' for you, as it's tracked by your SS as well.
  4. These practices seem to be infringing on the law in that regard, of applying, and getting a letter as to why I was denied, but I am simply told an account already exists, that should have been discharged.

I hope this helps save some headaches for other users who may have tried to apply for the Apple Card post bankruptcy. I am glad they are cutting ties with Goldman Sachs, but am not sure of how their record keeping will move to the new lender they choose down the road.

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 3:55 PM

Similar questions

5 replies

Apr 18, 2024 7:35 AM in response to doedoe321

Bankruptcy removes the ability to take legal action to recover debt, it does not erase the debt, just the ability to collect. Bankruptcy also causes a huge downgrade of your credit rating for up to seven years. Goldman Sachs has every right to deny you credit and require you to pay the debt before considering more credit. So does any other bank or merchant.

Apr 17, 2024 4:20 PM in response to doedoe321

Thank you for posting your additional information. Standard operating procedure for the vast majority of banks. Banks can have long memories, there is not law that says a private business must do business with a former account holder. Bankruptcies stay on your credit report for 7 years, and maybe in few states a little less time and a few a little longer. You will generally not get harassing phone calls and letters in the mail.

Two of the better credit card issuers will consider recently discharged bankruptcies, Capital One and Discover. You may have to start with a secured credit card and then after 6 to 12 months graduate to a revolving account with a few hundred dollars of credit.

Some banks have amazingly long memories. I’ve a friend that after 20 years cannot get an American Express card. Barclays is another bank that’s known to have a long memory. Good luck with your new credit journey.

Apr 17, 2024 4:30 PM in response to Jeff Donald

I saw previous posts where you advised users to create a new Apple ID, so wasn't sure if many were aware, considering their phone support aren't the greatest.

It's actually not standard, in the way Apple Card is operating, as there is a difference between keeping a customer facing balance vs private books labeled as debts uncollectible, and still showing the debt as needing to be paid with a balance (which is what Apple Card is doing).

The difference in Apple Card vs Cap One, Discover, etc., is that 99% of other card issuers discharge the debt, you no longer have access to your account to log in, etc. You are free to apply, and are then given a decision either yay or nay, and if nay, usually credited to a bankruptcy or what have you in their rejection reason.

Apple Card keeps the account open, and 'active', so that when you apply, you are stuck in a loop with them saying you have an active account balance (even though it was discharged). Thus, forcing you to pay your legally discharged debt, if you want to have the status as Paid/Closed, so you can *actually* apply for a card again, and get either a rejection or approval. Apple Card does neither, and it infringes on your right to having the debt / balances actually discharged, to actually apply again.

That is the problem. Still showing a balance and leaving the account itself active, instead of completely removing it, so one could reapply and get faced with a rejection or approval. The issue is that you cannot even apply, because they tell you there is still an active account.

Apr 17, 2024 4:58 PM in response to doedoe321

That’s was probably from a few years ago. Apple Card Mastercard was Goldman Sachs’ first consumer credit card. In my experience, their practices were pretty lax the first few years. However, over the last several years Goldman has applied stricter precautions when dealing with their account holders.

I noted above that Goldman Sachs is not alone in their restrictive policies and procedures. My best advice is to try and an every few years and see what they say.

Apr 18, 2024 10:08 AM in response to doedoe321

I thought I’d give a more complete replay to your post. My days starts at 4 AM, so by 8 PM, I’m just trying to finish up on a few replies and other miscellaneous things.

The fact that they continue to give you access to online resources to make periodic payments is a good thing in my opinion. It gives you the opportunity to make payments and clear the debt. Many banks have a complicated procedure for making payments, it can be expensive to the former account holder and is not convenient. They are letting the account holder know up front that there is an account that needs to be settled before they’ll be considered for new credit.

Many times I’ve seen other people complain, but being upset about the exact opposite. They ask why the bank makes them repeatedly apply, give the same reason for the decline (bankruptcy) and deny them credit. They want to know why the bank makes them jump through hoops, get their hopes up, then deny them for a discharged bankruptcy? Why can’t them bank show them up front what the issue is and not make them waste time?

There is no right or wrong. Each bank is entitled to their own business practices and procedures. If you don’t like Goldman’s practices, find another bank. I’m surprised that your bankruptcy lawyer didn’t explain a lot of this. You may want to review what the US Federal courts have to say about Chapter 7 bankruptcy and you’ll have a better understand of what’s going and understand Goldman Sachs is within their rights in regard to their practices.

https://www.uscourts.gov/services-forms/bankruptcy/bankruptcy-basics/chapter-7-bankruptcy-basics

Apple Card - Post Bankruptcy (Chapter 7)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.