Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Cannot Sync Safari Bookmarks from iCloud to iPhone or iPad since 17.4.1

I'm engaged with Apple via their escalations team but I'm at my whit's end here and hope SOMEONE in the ether has an answer or can help.

Background and high level summary: I cannot sync bookmarks from iCloud to my iPad mini 6 nor my iPhone 13 Pro. Both are running 17.4.1. Bookmarks are available and appear to be syncing without issue on my 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro (I can confirm this because if I delete one, it shows up under the Restore Data options on iCloud.com).

The long story: I bought an iPad mini 6 a couple weeks ago. It is the first iPad I've owned since the third version so when I set it up, I used a backup from my iPhone 13 Pro as a starting point. After the iCloud restore, I changed the device's name and it started performing its own backups from that point forward. All seemed well until about a week ago I noticed Safari was missing all of my bookmarks, synced via iCloud from both my 14" M3 Max MacBook Pro and my iPhone. I let it slide because I was busy and figured I would figure it out over the weekend.

Saturday morning rolls around and I cannot figure this out so I contact Apple support. In the normal process of troubleshooting, I signed out of iCloud on my iPhone and signed back in and poof, all of my bookmarks disappeared there as well. Since then I've been passed around by Apple Support, eventually landing with a Senior Level agent who is working with Apple's escalations team. They are suggesting I restore the OS on both devices but I'm in the middle of a big job and simply don't have time to do that. I also find it hard to believe that TWO different devices would exhibit the exact same issue and both would necessitate an OS restore. I did humor them and connect my iPad to my MacBook and reinstalled the 17.4.1 update but that didn't do anything. One thing that is weird to me is that on my iPad, if I try to 'Edit' the bookmarks, I'm met with this message:

Bookmarks are being synced. Please edit bookmarks once syncing has completed.

Strangely, this message even appears if I turn off the iCloud syncing for Safari. No idea where the iPad is trying to sync to in that case but I have had this message appear for 5 days now.

My question: Is anyone else having issues syncing bookmarks to their iPad / iPhone since installing 17.4.1? I'm half tempted to install the beta of 17.5 just to see if it resolves the issue but seeing as I'm in production on a job, I really can't take that chance. Also, I fully understand that this is nothing more than a minor inconvenience, especially since it seems to be syncing all of my browser history and frequently visited sites from all my devices, so I mostly have access to all the sites I go to anyways haha. It's just so weird and seems like such a simple thing that I am OBSESSED with trying to fix it.

iPad mini 6, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 3:55 PM

Similar questions

There are no replies.

Cannot Sync Safari Bookmarks from iCloud to iPhone or iPad since 17.4.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.