Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

use antivirus ans anti malware softwares on the iphone to protect the users especially theses days ?

with the recent announcement of the warning for iphone users,

I began to wonder whether the iphone and ipads users should consider using any anti virus software and anti malware software to protect themselves;

I knew that would not be necessary before,

please have a discussion on this issue and let me know, appreciated .

I already using ios 17.4.1

the latest update version.

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 7:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2024 7:56 PM

Viruses are very rare on all platforms, and malware is rare on iPhone. This is due in part to the app review process and the app store, the built-in iOS and iPadOS security, and the built-in anti-malware, as well as the telemetry, and the ability to remotely remove problematic apps.

Based on all available evidence and reporting, malware and exploits have been very rare, and very targeted. Full-remote no-click exploits with persistence for iOS or iPadOS were worth well more than two million dollars each, when last I checked. Those with such tooling are disinclined to use that tooling widely—very different from the widespread problems with Windows and viruses and worms from twenty or more years ago—as they don’t want their exploits patched. Which means the use of these tools has been targeted.

Now as for whether you are the target for any of the massively-expensive espionage-level tooling involved here? That’s for you to decide.

Security is a cost, too. Heaping on more security — unnecessarily — can or will introduce costs, and problems.

Materials containing words including "virus" and "hacker" are best assumed to be advertising, marketing, or entertainment, until proven otherwise. Those and similar words have been exceedingly effective at convincing some folks to load and use junk app and privacy-bypassing apps and data-harvesting services, too.

In recent years, folks can too often directly load what can look and work like malware, thinking it is protecting them from "viruses" or "hackers". One of the better known macOS anti-malware packages was caught selling personally-identified browsing data and web purchasing data for instance (and subsequently fined). Some of the common add-on "security" services badly solve a problem that hasn’t existed for a decade orvso, while perfectly positioned to collect personally-identified metadata, too.

Now is any of this helpful to you? Probably not. Palliatives seldom are.

What to do? Learn about and consider your particular threats. Maybe that means Safety Check, Lockdown Mode, unique and robust passwords, reviewing and resolving the Apple-generated security recommendations, enabling encrypted backups, enabling advanced data protection, and being aware for phishing and spear-phishing and the other sorts of security problems that are far more prevalent (and by all appearances, more effective) than has been iOS or iPadOS malware. Consider implementing security keys and passkeys, too.

One downside of upgrading your security and (for instance) taking over full control of Apple ID password resets: if incautious, you can get yourself completely and permanently locked out of your Apple ID should you misplace your security keys, etc.

Fear and paranoia are very profitable for some vendors, whether directly financially, or in terms of data and data harvesting and privacy.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2024 7:56 PM in response to straightalker

Viruses are very rare on all platforms, and malware is rare on iPhone. This is due in part to the app review process and the app store, the built-in iOS and iPadOS security, and the built-in anti-malware, as well as the telemetry, and the ability to remotely remove problematic apps.

Based on all available evidence and reporting, malware and exploits have been very rare, and very targeted. Full-remote no-click exploits with persistence for iOS or iPadOS were worth well more than two million dollars each, when last I checked. Those with such tooling are disinclined to use that tooling widely—very different from the widespread problems with Windows and viruses and worms from twenty or more years ago—as they don’t want their exploits patched. Which means the use of these tools has been targeted.

Now as for whether you are the target for any of the massively-expensive espionage-level tooling involved here? That’s for you to decide.

Security is a cost, too. Heaping on more security — unnecessarily — can or will introduce costs, and problems.

Materials containing words including "virus" and "hacker" are best assumed to be advertising, marketing, or entertainment, until proven otherwise. Those and similar words have been exceedingly effective at convincing some folks to load and use junk app and privacy-bypassing apps and data-harvesting services, too.

In recent years, folks can too often directly load what can look and work like malware, thinking it is protecting them from "viruses" or "hackers". One of the better known macOS anti-malware packages was caught selling personally-identified browsing data and web purchasing data for instance (and subsequently fined). Some of the common add-on "security" services badly solve a problem that hasn’t existed for a decade orvso, while perfectly positioned to collect personally-identified metadata, too.

Now is any of this helpful to you? Probably not. Palliatives seldom are.

What to do? Learn about and consider your particular threats. Maybe that means Safety Check, Lockdown Mode, unique and robust passwords, reviewing and resolving the Apple-generated security recommendations, enabling encrypted backups, enabling advanced data protection, and being aware for phishing and spear-phishing and the other sorts of security problems that are far more prevalent (and by all appearances, more effective) than has been iOS or iPadOS malware. Consider implementing security keys and passkeys, too.

One downside of upgrading your security and (for instance) taking over full control of Apple ID password resets: if incautious, you can get yourself completely and permanently locked out of your Apple ID should you misplace your security keys, etc.

Fear and paranoia are very profitable for some vendors, whether directly financially, or in terms of data and data harvesting and privacy.

Apr 17, 2024 8:04 PM in response to straightalker

No! You would be under the false assumption that the AntiVirus software is going to protect you from these threats. The truth is that they would not. Have you ever seen any report of an iOS exploit that would have been prevented with this software? Although it is their business model to scare people enough to subscribe to their service. Don't be fooled!

Apr 24, 2024 7:07 PM in response to straightalker

straightalker Said:

"thanks for your help,: bef I unlocked my iphone, saw a text message notification on my locked screen, once I unlocked my phone, the text message notification disappeared, no message received, so scared that did my phone being hacked ??"

-------

You are welcome.

No one hacked it.. You read the message, and now it is marked as read. That being so, it will not up on the screen until you got back in. So, is it in your list of messages? If not, then it may have been a message providing you with numbers for a passcode --either it is a fraud, or someone is looking to log into your account(who ever you use Two-Factor Authentication with). So, change your password to the account, if this is a login passcode prompt you are getting.

Apr 17, 2024 8:13 PM in response to straightalker

straightalker Said:

use antivirus ans anti malware softwares on the iphone to protect the users especially theses days ?

———-

Getting AV Software on an iPhone:

No. You will not get a virus in it. If any concern, it is phishing and scam calls:

Avoiding Popups and Scam Messages:

Two Things to Try...

A. Malwarebytes Mobile Security:

If you were to use Malwarebytes Mobile Security then that may do the job, somewhat. It blocks out suspected scams, based on the sender's phone number. The paid version lets you report a number - once reported, it blocks it out, not even allowing it to go through.  Malwarebytes is created by longtime users of these forums, making it the only reliable Security Software for Apple devices. Go Here: Malwarebytes Mobile Security - App Store

B. Brave Bowser:

Try using the Brave Private Web Browser. It blocks out all sorts of junk. You can get ti directly in the App StoreBrave Private Web Browser - App Store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.