Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Conditional formatting of a cel in Numbers

Can anybody tell me if it is possible in Numbers, to format a cel based on value in another cel.

For instance: A1 contains a serial number of a certain product and D1 is the status. Status is dropdown menu with the options "OK; Repair; Quarantine". So now I want to format A1 with a red background if the value in D1 is "Quarantine". Otherwise the background should stay grey (default table).

Any body knows if it is possible and if it is possible how to do that ?

I have Numbers v 14.0 (7039.0.94); I believe it is the most recent build.

Thanks for all your help.

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 1:45 AM

2 replies

Apr 18, 2024 8:22 AM in response to Mrfra62

Highlighting rules do not work that way. They compare the value in the cell to something else to determine whether or not to highlight. But there is a workaround that will let you highlight your cell or the entire row of cells based on whatever you like. Below is a generic example, not based on your particular request, that highlights the entire row when the number in column C is <40.

You do not have to use CHAR(10003). It just has to be a character that none of the cells will end with. The "~" character is an alternative.

Hide column D after it is all set up and working.

Conditional formatting of a cel in Numbers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.