Related Article: Make purchases using Apple Pay

My card number on the apple wallet is different then it used to be

My card number on apple wallet is different then it was when i made a payment. Now i can’t return my items. Does it change if i remove the card then add it again and if so is there anyway i can access the old one to get my return?

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 18, 2024 3:04 AM

7 replies

Apr 18, 2024 5:11 PM in response to aylah258

Is that a credit or debit card? Apple Pay has a different number from the physical card. The card has a number associated with the physical card that’s embedded in the magnetic stripe and the chip. Apple Pay creates a unique number, encrypts the number and only displays the last 4 digits of the encrypted number as a security and privacy feature and it’s to facilitate returns and refunds.

The last 4 digits of the number are available in the Wallet app.

The last 4

Apr 19, 2024 6:59 AM in response to aylah258

The Apple Pay number is unique to each device it’s added to. So, the Apple Pay number is different on my iPhone from my Apple Watch, even though the physical card number is the same.

Some banks have rotating CVV (security code) numbers. I suppose they could do it with the payment number as well. But that would create huge issues with refunds and returns.

Your best resource is the bank that issued the card. Your iPhone and Apple do not retain information about former account numbers etc.

My card number on the apple wallet is different then it used to be

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.